Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

Meon Valley Riser 2013

+13
martinR
Ian N
RayW
trigwill
BenD
Mike Crehan
KPycroft
toby.m
Graham C
beckcd
Ray
jerryc
Mark Capocci
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Tue 26 Mar 2013, 02:02

Mike S

Mike S

Graham C wrote:I certainly hope it warms up soon.

I rode yesterday morning for about 29 miles and the cold headwind didn't make for a comfortable ride at times.

Went out with the group on Sunday (56 miles) and it was a bit parkie.

https://pnecc.forumotion.co.uk/t1323-sunday-morning-in-the-cold (Has my first attempt at a youtube video)

27Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 2 Empty Meon Valley Riser 2013 Sat 30 Mar 2013, 05:27

martinR

Just booked the 48 mls, waiting to see what the weather had to offer!
08:00 at the George then - anybody keeping a list?

Martin

28Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Sat 30 Mar 2013, 05:47

Graham C

Graham C

Updated list from post above
12 in total so far, not bad at all

84 Miles
Mark C
Ray W
Tom G
Mike C
Mike S

46 Miles
Graham C
Carl B
Rich F
Katie
Migs
Ian N
Martin R

Graham

29Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Tue 02 Apr 2013, 07:44

Graham C

Graham C

quote="Mike Crehan"]Cheers Smile

Went out this morning from Rogate towards Petworth but got fed up with the wind so headed through Lodsworth to Lurgashall then up Black Down to the car park at the top, down into Haslemere, Liphook, Rake and home. Nice 30 mile loop with just under 2k' climbed in 1 hour 52.

No more now until Meon Riser - my first event so quite a bit of anxiety about how it will go. I need not to get sucked into going too fast at the start. Must see if I can collect my Club jersey before then too as it would be nice to wear the colours.
[/quote]

For a bit of info and just in case anyone would like to know the average speeds required to obtain Gold, Silver or Bronze times.

84 Miles Men
Gold 17.39 mph
Silver 14.81 mph
Bronze 13.08 mph

47 Miles Ladies
Gold 14.83 mph
Silver 13.43 mph
Bronze 10.63 mph

47 Miles Men
Gold 17.10 mph
Silver 14.46 mph
Bronze 11.27 mph

From past experience you always seem to find an extra mph or so on the day, and it's really just like a large club run with a bit of an edge. Just remember their clock is always ticking even at feed stops. Hopefully the weather will be kind to us; it doesn't look too bad at the moment.
Graham

30Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Tue 02 Apr 2013, 13:18

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

Very Happy Have a good one fellas - wish I was there too. Don't eat too much, stick to tried and tested food and drinks only (always a temptation to munch free stuff and drink untested fluids). Decide if you're going to stick as a group OR start as one and finish in your own time, before you depart - saves those embarrassing moments when that puncture seems to take forever, or you have to push someone up every slight incline. Post your times and reflection on how the event went, be realistic, and most of all enjoy it! alien

http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

31Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Tue 02 Apr 2013, 17:16

Graham C

Graham C

Thanks Dave
Excellent advice re the food, it can be a temptation to over do it. Just remember to bring enough of your own food and drink to nibble at on route this will reduce the temptation to overeat at the feed stops and keep your energy levels high in the chilly weather..

On a personal note I use High 5 products as my system seems to be ok with them. I take 2 bottles 1 with High 5 Zero electrolyte and the other I have 4:1 Energy Source and then top them up with new tablets at the stop.

Time wise I very much doubt I will achieve Gold as my 2 Golds last year were age compensated/adjusted times at 16 mph and both were achieved in sunny September. For me I will be happy with silver and as far past 14.47 mph as I can get. Very Happy

Graham

32Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 07:43

Graham C

Graham C

Online entries now closed
From their entry list, this looks like our squad for the day. Alex has joined the 84 mile group.

84 Miles
Mark C
Ray W
Tom G
Mike C
Mike S
Alex S

46 Miles
Graham C
Carl B
Rich F
Katie
Migs
Ian N
Martin R

Graham

33Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 08:31

Mike S

Mike S

Looking forward to it !!

First Sportive of the year.

Very Happy

34Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 19:33

Ian N

Hi All,

Just wanted to check - are we still all meeting up at The George at 0800 on Sunday, for the MV Riser ?

Cheers,

Ian

35Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 20:17

Mike Crehan

Ian, not a direct answer to your question but, just so I don't cause anyone to waste time waiting for me at the George, I will be going straight to the start in my car (shocked sucking of air through gritted teeth). see you all on the day

Mike

(ps - now recognisable by a disc braked titanium Enigma being ridden slowly by a fat middle aged bloke)

36Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 20:33

Mike S

Mike S

I am aiming to hit the George for just before 8am.

also need to decide if we are going to ride as a pack or go for individual glory !

37Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 05:20

Mike Crehan

I am happy to ride with others but this is my first event and so my goal is to get around the course before 5pm! I reckon the long course is going to take me at least 6 hours - probably nearer seven with a couple of refuelling breaks but if that suits your pace we can set off together to the first refuelling station and see how its working out after that.

Finishing is enough individual glory for me!

38Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 05:41

Mike S

Mike S

Mike,

I am quiet happy to go in a pack. This is my first long sportive and having some moral support and also someone to temper the urge to go flying of at the start will be a good thing. I am aiming to start between 8.30 and 9. If you are ok with it lets see if we can get round together.

Mike.

39Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 06:59

Graham C

Graham C

First off it looks as though the weather is going to be kind to us by not raining and a resonably light ESE wind, it might be chilly first thing but it should warm up.

As we have potentially 13 riders in all and they are starting the MVR in groups of 25 it would be a nice showing if we could all start as one or in one of the groups.

The aim to meet at The George for 8am should see the group arrive around 8:30 at the latest as it's about 6/7 miles to the start.
As we will have no need to get bikes ready get and togged up etc it should be more or less just a case of sign on, fix the number on, and be ready by about 9am.

The split in the two distances is at the X roads in Buriton after descending the hill this is around the 26 mile mark. There will have been 2 or 3 long drags and 1 of the more notable climbs by this point, so if I'm still in touch with someone I will be quite pleased. Embarassed

It would be nice if each group could remain together certainly for as long as possible; as group moral support does give everyone a lift.

These are just my thoughts, but a bit of pre plannning now will save time on the day

Graham

40Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 07:13

snowie

snowie

I'll be up at the George at 8am, my flatmate Sean is coming too who, the ginger some people might have met a couple of Sundays ago. Doing the 84miler. Looking forward to it and trying to pack the early sportives in as I'm away all summer.

41Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 19:25

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

Remember images guys, some of you take some pics on your phones, start, feed station etc. and they'll make the sportive web page. Have a good one

http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

42Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 21:23

Mike S

Mike S

Bike camera will be primed and ready to go !

43Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Sun 07 Apr 2013, 04:49

snowie

snowie

Got a spare registration if anyone wants it for a few quid. Will bring it up to the George at 8.

44Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 04:36

Mike Crehan

What a fabulous day. Since I started riding in December I think this is the first lovely day I have ridden on.

Huge thanks to Mike S who saw me round the 84 miler, my first ever event. My watch recorded:

Distance: 84.62 mi
Time: 5:26:48
Avg Speed: 15.5 mph
Elevation Gain: 4,624 ft
Calories: 3,844 C

This doesn't include the rests at the feed stations and the stop to repair my slipping saddle - total time 6:16 which got us both a bronze award. I'm over the moon - not a distance record but an average speed and climbing in one day PB. Very Happy

45Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 05:02

RayW

Yes it was a good day for a ride.

Sorry I went off alone but I heard "go when ready" so I went. By the time I'd crossed the timing line it was too late to come back Embarassed

I hope everyone enjoyed themselves Smile

46Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 05:27

Mark Capocci

Mark Capocci

Cracking day out, cheers everyone.

I assume everyone enjoyed themselves and have sore legs now....i have!! Very Happy

47Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 06:49

Mike S

Mike S

Mike Crehan wrote:I am happy to ride with others but this is my first event and so my goal is to get around the course before 5pm! I reckon the long course is going to take me at least 6 hours - probably nearer seven with a couple of refuelling breaks but if that suits your pace we can set off together to the first refuelling station and see how its working out after that.

Finishing is enough individual glory for me!

Most enjoyable day. Quite sore now. First 100 mile day for me and not the flatest ride in the world. Hope you all managed to get round without any dramas.

48Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 07:27

Graham C

Graham C

Nice day out in the end.

I have good days and bad days on Harvesting Lane today was a bad day. Cramp in quads on both legs kicked in on the climb to Teglease Down but managed to get up and over.

The climb up Crooked Hill Lane though was a hill too far for me in the end and the cramp set in again.

I still managed a bronze time after all the stops and considering what seemed to me almost continual climbing I am happy with that.

49Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Tue 09 Apr 2013, 06:45

Ian N

I really enjoyed the day yesterday - a good, challenging route for my first event - well chuffed to get a silver time. Well done to everyone who took part. It was great to be part of the PNE crew.

50Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 2 Empty Meon Valley Riser 2013 Tue 09 Apr 2013, 21:14

martinR

Looks like a good time was had by all?

I had the good fortune to hang on to a group of 5 'black rockets' who towed me to the first food stop where I met up with Richard and became his flapjack bitch.

I think we both agreed we stopped too long stuffing our faces, after that we picked up the pace, can 2 do through and off, anyway we did to good effect.

Portchester hill was a bit emotional for one of us but we crossed the line together just outside the 3 hours. Latterly the wind was cruel and did not add to the joy.

I learned 2 things for next year which brings gold easily within reach, 1. plan a chain of 3 or 4 & 2. Pick up fluids only and eat on the fly.

Can't wait for the next one!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum