Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

Meon Valley Riser 2013

+13
martinR
Ian N
RayW
trigwill
BenD
Mike Crehan
KPycroft
toby.m
Graham C
beckcd
Ray
jerryc
Mark Capocci
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

51Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 3 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 00:13

snowie

snowie

Had a fairly disastrous crawl for about 15 miles after the halfway mark due to piss-poor food preparation, which had a massive impact on my time. Still first of the season and enjoyed the route nonetheless - must take more food next time or actually look where the feed stations are before setting off!

52Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 3 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 00:21

Mike S

Mike S

snowie wrote:Had a fairly disastrous crawl for about 15 miles after the halfway mark due to piss-poor food preparation, which had a massive impact on my time. Still first of the season and enjoyed the route nonetheless - must take more food next time or actually look where the feed stations are before setting off!

I would agree, I started to hangout before the second feed stop. I think the second feed station was too far out from the first.

Mike.

53Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 3 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 08:21

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

Suspect There seems to be a theme here of food and cramp. You need to consume approximately 0.75gms per Kg of your body weight (eg 90KG rider eats 90 * 0.75gms = 67.5gms) in carbs per hour - not a lot really, but the most important is hydration. should be looking at getting through a 750ml bottle per hour easy, with regular drinks every 20 mins. Try experimenting now with a bottle of water, and a bottle of electrolyte on your future training rides.

As a rule I drink every 1/2 hour, and feed every hour (with drink on top), towards the end of the 100 miles I'm looking at throwing in a couple of gels - from personal experience - I have one at 15, and 10 miles to go (gives me that last bit a lift when the legs are getting heavier).

It will come with practice and everyone is different - experiment & practice. alien

Next big one everyone is the MEGA MEON - unfortunately I still can't ride and it looks like until Summer affraid when I'll start to come back (sigh).

Last year was marred by a spectacular crash into a parked car by someone Suspect and the group decided to stay together - finishing together as the organisers were preparing to go home. Lets make it a group ride again this year - but without the ambulance? sunny

http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

54Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 3 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 11:21

Robski

We've started our training already. Found it nice to move our limbs without the restriction on loads of layers cheers

55Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 3 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 17:13

jerryc

jerryc

I drank loads on sportives last year, about 750ml-1l every hour and didn't suffer from cramps. Don't overdo the energy drinks either, every other one should be water or a rehydrating electrolyte drink. Think I peaked for la marmotte consuming 16x750ml bottles, but then the slopes of alpe d'huez were 35 degrees!

56Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 3 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 18:27

Mark Capocci

Mark Capocci

This is my nutrition plan used on Sundays Sportive. I have been practising this for the last few weeks so I'm happy that it works for me.

- Saturday night a good old pasta meal.
- Sunday morning got up at 6.30 to get porridge in, approx 500cals plus steadily drink a couple of glasses of water to maintain hydration.
- Once we started the event I just sipped water for the first hour.
- I have my Garmin set to bleep every 30mins. So on the hour I use either a Clif bar or a Powerbar Ride the latter was used last Sunday. Each bar was 220cals. Then on the half hour I used SIS gels which are 87cal. This is providing me with just over 300cals/hour.
- In addition to that I had 2 water bottles one with 2 High5 electrolyte tablets in and the other plain water. I drank from both steadily throughout the ride. I didn't refuel at the stops and looking back I felt I could have done with another bottle of water for the last 10-15miles.

When we arrived at the finish I felt ok, a slight lack of hydration but not major and tired legs.

As Dave has said this plan may not suit everyone but it works for me. It's something you have to experiment with and see what your body can handle or not. For example I tried a High5 energy drink the other day and I felt terrible, so I've crossed that off the list. It's better to do all the experimenting in training than in a race Very Happy

Hope this helps?

57Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 3 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 19:48

mozzy

mozzy

jerryc wrote: but then the slopes of alpe d'huez were 35 degrees!

Wow - that is steep! Laughing

58Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 3 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 23:05

Graham C

Graham C

Mark Capocci wrote:This is my nutrition plan used on Sundays Sportive. I have been practising this for the last few weeks so I'm happy that it works for me.

- Saturday night a good old pasta meal.
- Sunday morning got up at 6.30 to get porridge in, approx 500cals plus steadily drink a couple of glasses of water to maintain hydration.
- Once we started the event I just sipped water for the first hour.
- I have my Garmin set to bleep every 30mins. So on the hour I use either a Clif bar or a Powerbar Ride the latter was used last Sunday. Each bar was 220cals. Then on the half hour I used SIS gels which are 87cal. This is providing me with just over 300cals/hour.
- In addition to that I had 2 water bottles one with 2 High5 electrolyte tablets in and the other plain water. I drank from both steadily throughout the ride. I didn't refuel at the stops and looking back I felt I could have done with another bottle of water for the last 10-15miles.

When we arrived at the finish I felt ok, a slight lack of hydration but not major and tired legs.

As Dave has said this plan may not suit everyone but it works for me. It's something you have to experiment with and see what your body can handle or not. For example I tried a High5 energy drink the other day and I felt terrible, so I've crossed that off the list. It's better to do all the experimenting in training than in a race Very Happy

Hope this helps?

Hi Mark
Some helpful advice for me there.
I beleive my cramp was probably more due to insufficient pre race hydration than on the day intake.
Porrige/Banana/honey for breakfast, energy bar at the start as I had already ridden for about an hour before the start.
Onboard 1 bottle of High 5 4:1 and 1 of High 5 Zero electrolyte, plus bars and zero tablet. I refilled the zero at the feed stop.

Speaking to Dave on Monday he suggested that I swap the bottle of 4:1 for water as taking in too much carbohydrate can have a negative effect, as the body has to process the excess while you are riding.

I don't have any ill effects from the 4:1 but in hindsight I'm not sure if it brings anything to my party either.

I'll now try using gels instead, combined with the swap out to water on my solo/club rides to see how I fare with this combination and just as important that I remember up my fluid intake the day before.

Once again thanks for the info Mark
Graham

59Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 3 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Thu 11 Apr 2013, 01:09

Mike S

Mike S

I tend to agree. Fluids was the problem. You have to keep drinking.
Food has never been a problem with me and probably over carbed up before and during.

All good fun though and good for learning.

60Meon Valley Riser 2013 - Page 3 Empty Re: Meon Valley Riser 2013 Thu 11 Apr 2013, 06:13

RayW

PNECC @ about 2 minutes into this video of Meon Valley Riser 2013 on Vimeo.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum