Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

BBC Radio Solent Cycle Ride - 17th March 2014

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Paul Martin

Paul Martin
Admin

Dear Clubmates

Please see below which is pretty self-explanatory. I will post details when I have them but if you can make it, let's put on a good show for the BBC and Sport Relief...

"Throughout the week commencing Monday 17th March, I will be undertaking a bit of an adventure for Sport Relief on BBC Radio Solent. I will swim in the 4 “mouths” of the South –Portsmouth, Yarmouth, Bournemouth and Weymouth, run up the highest hills in South Hampshire, Dorset and the IOW and cycle the 250 miles in between. All before 7pm on Friday 21st March, broadcasting my progress with live reports on breakfast, morning, afternoon and drive time shows.

I will be starting my challenge on the Monday morning with a dip in the sea at Southsea during the breakfast show. Then I will be setting off on my bike at about 10am, to ride to Butser Hill. Could I do this with PNECC? I would like to extend the invitation to join me to as many members who fancy it and who don't have to work that morning.

As well as the cycling I would like to have a chat on air with members of the club - I'm particularly interested in talking to anyone with a great sporting or exercise related story to tell - big weight loss, complete turnaround of health through sport, a lifetime of coaching/volunteering, unusual or famous events participated in, events being organised that anyone can join in with, the youngest members, oldest, anyone who found love at the club, got married there, many generations of the same family involved... and much much more!

Do let me know if you have any members interested and I can liaise directly and sort out the logistics. It'll be a lot of fun and will promote Sport Relief, healthy lifestyle, the joys of exercise and your club in particular.

Kind regards,

Bob Diggles

Afternoon Producer & Sport Relief reporter
BBC Radio Solent"

Dave G will be posting details on Facebook and Twitter when we have them too.

Paul Martin

Paul Martin
Admin

Update:

The BBC's Bob Diggles will be setting off from Eastney seafront by the Coffee Cup Van near the zebra crossing at about 9am having first interviewed some of the Portsmouth Tri Club with whom he will have swum in the sea a bit earlier.

We will plot the best route to Butser for him. I suggest that we meet up at South Parade Pier 0800 for 0815 and ride the short distance along the front to meet him. Please note that he will be doing a piece live on air at 0840 with the Tri Club and may well record something with us once at Butser, if not along the way.

A handful of PNE members have told me they are booking a day off work so please post here if you think you can join in. Although it is radio, PNE kit would still be a big plus as photos may appear on the BBC's website!

Paul_G

Paul_G

I will be there day off has been confirmed.

Stevie Went

Stevie Went

Yep, as discussed last sat mate, I will be there, having day off anyway, (two gigs sat/sun) c u at 08 dubs south parade peir  Very Happy 

Paul Martin

Paul Martin
Admin

Just a quick, big 'thanks' to Dave Swaffer, Stevie Went, Martin Randle, Paul Giles and Karl Mather for joining me on this morning's ride to QE Park (not Butser Hill) with BBC Radio Solent's Bob Diggles.  Thanks also to Portsmouth Triathletes for coffee and cake in the sunshine at Eastney before we set off.

We decided on exiting the city via Clarence Parade, Anglesea Road, Market Way and the western cycle route all the way to Cosham.  We then went straight up Portsdown Hill to Waterlooville, detouring via the B2150 and Milton Road to Lovedean (where I punctured, giving Radio Solent the opportunity to provide a live update on my inner tube swapping skills) and on to Clanfield, after which a short climb up Petersfield Lane took us onto the descent to the QE Park underpass and more coffee and cake.

The live link to Radio Solent broke down, no doubt due to the QE Park Centre being in a deep cutting but Dave, Steve and I recorded some stuff for later transmission.  The sun had gone in but struggled to make an appearance as we said our goodbyes to Bob and chainganged it back along Lovedean Lane and then went off piste to Anmore and Denmead to emerge at Purbrook and all routes home.  A good morning's work and some excellent publicity for the Club and organised cycling in general  Very Happy

Swaff

Swaff

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01vgh0f

Bob Diggle has now put his interview with us at QEP on the Radio Solent website. Link above should get you there.

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

Very Happy Check out the Sportive webpage on our site and Dave Swaffer's fb page.

Shaven legs then Steve Went - make you faster? we'll have to confirm that?  alien 

http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum