Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

New bike or not?

+2
trigwill
toby.m
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New bike or not? Empty New bike or not? Wed 14 Mar 2012, 09:28

toby.m

toby.m

Basically, it has quickly come about that I am likely to be doing a charity ride to Scotland at the end of May. It's 550-600 miles in 5 days which I am confident I can get fit for.

However, I can't help but get this urge to get a new bike for it (and the riding I will continue to do after). I fancy a carbon bike (Cube Agree range kinda thing) with a budget of £1500 or maybe a bit more if I'm getting a good bang for my buck. The idea of building a bike, with all your expertise assisting me, is also appealing.

So what do you think, is getting a new bike a good idea?

Oh and I currently have a secondhand aluminium Felt F100 with Shimano Sora.

2New bike or not? Empty Re: New bike or not? Wed 14 Mar 2012, 09:59

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

Very Happy Check out Planet-X and don't disregard Ribble, there are some excellent 'bike-build' offers. You will need to buy early and get plenty of miles in, on the new bike prior to the trip you mention alien

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/bikes

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bikebuilder.asp?action=showframes&sub=conf_BBRC&type=RIBMO&gclid=CJeRran95K4CFVEjfAoddGZIxA

http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

3New bike or not? Empty Re: New bike or not? Thu 15 Mar 2012, 00:59

jerryc

jerryc

Why do you want a new bike...comfort, speed, or posing?

Comfort...Correct me if I am wrong but you have not been riding long so if comfort is an issue ask Paul nicely to check out your positioning.

If speed is your aim then again if you are new to road biking get your bike handling skills up to scratch first (or risk scratching your new bike). You'll also need to condition your body for a while and get your fitness up. You will get quicker faster by riding a heavier bike/harder training and then switching to a faster/lighter bike than treating yourself first.

Posing...each to their own I guess, I don't like poser's though so expect me to make you look silly at some point Laughing

I completed several club rides on a mountain bike before I got a road bike, I bought a Felt F95 at entry level price, never had an issue with the shimano sora components. I have since ridden over 4,000 miles on her in just 6 months and the only thing that is niggling at me as a possible argument for getting a lighter bike is some mole hill's in France they call the Alps and Pyrenees...the Col du Galibier is twice the height of the highest peak in the UK.

"Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades!"

4New bike or not? Empty Re: New bike or not? Thu 15 Mar 2012, 01:49

Paul Martin

Paul Martin
Admin

Hi Toby,

You can get a great deal of bike for that money but I know you can get something very good for less. Expect to spend no more than £1000 on the bike, leaving plenty for shoes, jersey, bibshorts etc - all PNE clothing of course!

I think you know what equipment I'd recommend.....and hand built into a superb bike by me. I also recommend Ribble or Planet X. I am happy to do all the ordering for you to make sure you get it right.

However we need to be absolutely sure that your position is right first.

Paul

5New bike or not? Empty Re: New bike or not? Thu 15 Mar 2012, 02:55

toby.m

toby.m

Thank you all for your replies,

My main reasons for a new bike is comfort and speed, plus I would like to have have two bikes; my current one being kept for a commuter/running to the shops/winter training bike and a newer one for club rides and sportives that I eventually want to get into. Obviously with comfort it is all about positioning but cutting down on road buzz would be nice also. Similarly with speed you can only be as good as the rider on top but I would like a 'faster' bike for future sportives etc. Sure I would like a nice looking bike but as you say if you pose people are just going to make you look rather silly Laughing

Paul, I'll PM you so we can talk about what we could create if I go ahead with getting a new steed.

Toby

6New bike or not? Empty Re: New bike or not? Thu 15 Mar 2012, 03:13

robsp

robsp
Admin

Toby, I might be selling my carbon roadbike soon and all for under £1000 ;-) but not sure yet.

I've just brought a new bike (awaiting delivery) and I've gone back to Alu bike as some of them are just as good as Carbon frames these days...compare top of the range Alu bikes with bottom of the range Carbon bikes.

Have a look at Canyon Bikes (my new one) and Rose bikes (both German and internet only sales), so you save a fortune. The Rose bikes you can configure colours and components too. I was going to buy a Rose except the delivery date was 4 weeks.

If you can get hold it it (I've a copy) get April 2012 Cycling Plus mag as they have their reveiew of 2012 bikes.

7New bike or not? Empty Re: New bike or not? Thu 15 Mar 2012, 05:14

beckcd

beckcd

Waterfordbikes.com

Forget carbon, steel is real.

Might be a bit over a grand though esp if you put C**Pag on it.

Carl

8New bike or not? Empty Re: New bike or not? Thu 15 Mar 2012, 06:41

Paul Martin

Paul Martin
Admin

Ooooh I can't let that pass Carl!

It is a complete myth that Campag is more expensive than, ahem, other makes. Just compare 10 speed levers on Ribble....

9New bike or not? Empty Re: New bike or not? Thu 15 Mar 2012, 07:05

beckcd

beckcd

Right I stand corrected,

Might be a bit over a grand especially if you put on the the top of the range C**pag or even more expensive shimano, like Dura Ace Di2.

Thought I'd get more of an ear bashing over the steel is real comment, I have to say.

10New bike or not? Empty Re: New bike or not? Thu 15 Mar 2012, 07:20

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

beckcd wrote:Right I stand corrected,

Might be a bit over a grand especially if you put on the the top of the range C**pag or even more expensive shimano, like Dura Ace Di2.

Thought I'd get more of an ear bashing over the steel is real comment, I have to say.

Very Happy steel is brill - especially steel track frames Suspect alien

http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

11New bike or not? Empty Re: New bike or not? Thu 15 Mar 2012, 07:27

beckcd

beckcd

Dave,

You know it my friend. Very Happy

12New bike or not? Empty Re: New bike or not? Thu 15 Mar 2012, 08:37

jerryc

jerryc

I believe it was a carbon frame that clonked me on the head and shoulder in Sunday's race, I can honestly say I don't fancy being hit by a steel frame at that (or any) speed!

13New bike or not? Empty Re: New bike or not? Thu 15 Mar 2012, 11:41

Paul Martin

Paul Martin
Admin

Reynolds 753. Best steel alloy tubing ever made. Light, stiff, responsive and will survive a head on crash with a Post Office van on Harting.... Shocked

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum