Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gear Restrictions?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Gear Restrictions? Empty Gear Restrictions? Mon 23 Jan 2012, 07:21

Charlie96

Charlie96

I was just browsing through the infinitely complex road racing rulebook on the BC website, and noticed the section on gear restrictions. It says I'd be restricted to a maximum gear of 6.93 metres. According to Sheldon Brown's gear calculator, that means I can only use the bottom 5 cogs out of 9 (up to a 52x17). How are the rules enforced, and what do I need to do to comply with them? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Charlie.

Last edited by Charlie96 on Tue 24 Jan 2012, 05:38; edited 1 time in total

2Gear Restrictions? Empty Re: Gear Restrictions? Mon 23 Jan 2012, 21:29

beckcd

beckcd

Charlie,

That was a mean attack you put in on the climb to the bat and ball. You were Contador like in your climbing. Now I can only tell you from the days when I was racing. When you sign on there is always a mandatory bike check and in order for you to comply to the requirements of the gear ration you will need to have adjusted the rear mech screws so they don't go down lower than your 16th tooth sprocket.

Now this was over twenty years ago and what happens now I'm not sure, but a rear mech is still a rear mech with adjustment screws.

Hope this helps a bit.

Carl

3Gear Restrictions? Empty Re: Gear Restrictions? Tue 24 Jan 2012, 00:32

jerryc

jerryc

Fit a compact it will help you up the hills and with only a 50 on the front you won't have so many gears you're not allowed to use.

Sorry I missed your attack, I was too busy paying Jose and Tom back for last weekend hahaha

4Gear Restrictions? Empty Re: Gear Restrictions? Tue 24 Jan 2012, 05:46

Charlie96

Charlie96

Thanks, Carl. Unfortunately, Tom followed me and when that happens, he usually beats me Rolling Eyes. According to the same gear calculator, I wouldn't be able to use any more gears if I fitted a compact as the next cog down (a 15 tooth) would still give a development over 6.93 metres. Though on most steeps hills I do run out of gears with a 52-39 up front and a 12-25 on the back (I don't like getting out of the saddle Laughing ).
Charlie.

5Gear Restrictions? Empty Re: Gear Restrictions? Tue 24 Jan 2012, 06:19

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

Very Happy Hi Charlie, good question and thanks for asking. When you next go to the Mountbatten track look at the floor next to the 'sloped concrete access ramp' into the building. On the floor outside next to the ramp are white painted markings. When you are in your 'age restricted lowest gear', one full pedal revolution should be completed within the permitted marks (sound complicated - it isn't). If you're unsure to the sprocket that is your lowest permitted sprocket, change gears until one revolution of the pedals keep you within the marks. See one of the officials inside taking licence details prior to a race, or ideally see one of the coaches running a training session and they can check your bike. Once the correct gear is selected, your rear mech small sprocket limit is adjusted (by a screwdriver) to prevent you changing into a smaller sprocket when racing. [To be honest it would be good practice to set up your bike and keep it that way, so you benefit in training etc.]. bounce

Ask when your down the track and someone will set it up for you - everyone there is there promoting the sport and not waiting to trip you up. Hope that helps alien

http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

6Gear Restrictions? Empty Re: Gear Restrictions? Tue 24 Jan 2012, 06:30

Charlie96

Charlie96

That's a bit clearer now. I'll adjust it later. Thanks guys. Does anyone know the reason for the limits, by the way?
Charlie.

7Gear Restrictions? Empty Re: Gear Restrictions? Tue 24 Jan 2012, 06:30

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

Very Happy Charlie: On a gearing note, I ride a 53-39 and normally a 13-29 with a medium rear mech - as I don't like rising out of the saddle on climbs unless absolutely necessary to 'step' on the pedals. To be honest if you use a heart rate monitor you'll find as soon as you 'step' on the pedals your heart-rate climbs too. It is more efficient to remain seated and 'spin' or 'attack' the hills. There are instances when you might want to 'rise' and this sometimes relieves aches from the seated position.

Very Happy I find climbing easier on the 'brake hoods' or sometimes on the 'drops' rather than across the handlebar 'horizontal' - this again depends on your bike set-up and comfort preference. Listen to your body and remember what suits others may not suit you. alien

8Gear Restrictions? Empty Re: Gear Restrictions? Tue 24 Jan 2012, 06:37

beckcd

beckcd

1, to protect your knees Charlie, as you're still growing and developing. And 2, so no one has an unfair advantage.

Stick to 39/52 makes you sound like a pro.

You looked pretty good at spinning to me. Next time let that wheel sucker Tom do the work and you jump him at the top.

The lads I went out with on Sunday stayed at around level 3 and 4 all the way around. I peeled off half way through as the pace was too much for me in January.

9Gear Restrictions? Empty Re: Gear Restrictions? Tue 24 Jan 2012, 09:31

Charlie96

Charlie96

That'd make sense... Very Happy I'm keeping the 52/39, Jerry, I'll just keep training to spin the big gears Very Happy.
Charlie.

10Gear Restrictions? Empty Re: Gear Restrictions? Wed 25 Jan 2012, 05:04

jerryc

jerryc

Fair enough Charlie but I don't spin big gears...I fly, far less effort

11Gear Restrictions? Empty Re: Gear Restrictions? Thu 26 Jan 2012, 04:43

Charlie96

Charlie96

Well y'know... Each to his own Very Happy. I do have a small problem, though: The limit screw isn't long enough Rolling Eyes. Anyone know where I'd find a longer one?

12Gear Restrictions? Empty Re: Gear Restrictions? Thu 26 Jan 2012, 07:51

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

Very Happy Simple way is to set up your rear deraillier with the wire adjusted so that at its slackest tension it sits over your lowest permitted gear (as if you hadn't allowed enough slack in the gear wire) leave a little play in your lower deraillier adjustment screw to fine tune - hope that makes sense alien

13Gear Restrictions? Empty Re: Gear Restrictions? Mon 30 Jan 2012, 03:51

Charlie96

Charlie96

That worked! Thanks. I've finally got round to buying my racing licence so I should be winning points soon! (That or failing spectacularly Laughing)
Charlie.

14Gear Restrictions? Empty Re: Gear Restrictions? Mon 30 Jan 2012, 04:45

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

Very Happy its all about learning curves, take everything in, review, and try the next race. Never take a disappointment, use it as part of your learning curve process, be positive, plan, do and review, adapt for the next one. Don't be afraid to experiment ant test your body, but remember you're still growing and developing. Godd luck and enjoy. alien

15Gear Restrictions? Empty Re: Gear Restrictions? Mon 30 Jan 2012, 06:31

Jackit99

Jackit99

As said above dont push big gears yet because your still growing also dont overdo it cycling !
I know its easy to say this but 3 /4 years later you will regret it when you have knee troubles that WILL happen
If not before soo just keep that in mind , happend to me and is no fun atall Sad
pushing big gears too big is like weight lifting too much , you have to build upto it !
anyway enough said

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum