Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

Road racing members

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Road racing members Empty Road racing members Wed 14 Oct 2009, 09:54

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

Do we have any members in PNE who are licenced road racers? If not when did we last have any? Personally it seems a bit of a kerfuffle what with bcf licensing, costs, catergorie/levels etc. etc. can anyone enlighten me further from personal experience?

http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

2Road racing members Empty Re: Road racing members Wed 14 Oct 2009, 17:37

robsp

robsp
Admin

I have been a member in the past, and its a bloody expensive business. I think the cheapest price for BC membership and licence is about £60, then on top of that you have to pay
on the day which can be anything from £10 upwards.

I'm not sure how the points system work, but if you havent raced before you would start off in Cat 4.

There are regular races at the Mountbatten Centre and then at Dunsfold and further affield.

I havent decided yet if I'll join BC next year or do the LRVC..which is for riders over 40 and costs the fraction of the price.

It might be worth having a meeting in early 2010 for those interested in racing to target some races as a team

Link for LVRC: http://www.lvrc.org/

The League International: http://www.theleagueinternational.com/

3Road racing members Empty road racing Wed 14 Oct 2009, 19:44

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

Had a look at LRVC website and leafed through their forum, certainly some characters there. Having looked at their Region 10 programme for 2009 identified 6 races that were available in cat D. It's a pity they don't have a 'give-it-a-try' unless you join on the line membership and pay double entry (still only about £28 altogether - similar to a sportive cost) so something to muse over. Had a look at the League International before and with both it's down to a numbers game. The BCF do have more 'shove' perhaps with a bigger membership but it's a pity they are so pricey?
I've only just started this season with club TT and not available that often on Sundays for the PTTL. With perhaps the future meeting to discuss what the club members would like from the 2010 club TTs and the opportunity to complete more sportives/PTTL events that would probably put the Road Race 'avenue' from a personal view on hold for next season.

http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

4Road racing members Empty Re: Road racing members Thu 15 Oct 2009, 00:09

Paul Martin

Paul Martin
Admin

Well, I held a BCF licence from 1984 to 1989 and did my share of RRs. Half the time I got dropped and blown out the back but I did get a 3rd, 2 x 4ths and a 5th, often on hilly courses (which might raise an eyebrow or two). Anyway, I rode an LVRC circuit race last summer on Thorney Island and got blown out the back, as expected. If I get the chance to train next year I would opt for another LVRC licence as I think that BC is too big for its own boots and is not really aimed at the likes of me. Training is everything in RRs as there is nowhere to hide. I think that there is merit in sorting a plan for next year but I can't guarantee I'll ride.

5Road racing members Empty Re: Road racing members Thu 15 Oct 2009, 17:00

Sadly I cannot join LVRC, I'm still under 40 ha ha! However, I have to join BC and like Rob said its not cheap, boo hoo!. The membership is annual not calendar? Also as I'm meant to be doing cross this season I need it for that. They also have racing at MoD Chertsey and Thruxton. I appreciate Paul's comments but its no different from a club run or track for me to be 'off the back'. It happens and has to be dealt with to make you a better rider I suppose. So maybe I just have to get it out of my system, join and see what comes of it.

6Road racing members Empty Re: Road racing members Fri 16 Oct 2009, 04:32

Rich Walker

Rich Walker

Fella's ive had some mail from BC ref:renewal for the club and reduced costs for club members so hang fire and i shall get you all the details.

7Road racing members Empty Re: Road racing members Fri 16 Oct 2009, 05:10

Paul Martin

Paul Martin
Admin

I'm sure you've already thought about it mate but don't forget to keep Julie in the loop.

8Road racing members Empty BC Racing Mon 28 Feb 2011, 00:58

Roboman

Roboman

bc is very expensive !!

Adults start off as 4ths and if they get enought points in 1 season they progress to 3rds then 2nds , 1sts and Elite

Youts are split itno
Under 8 , 10 , 12 , 14 ,16 then they are classed as an adult however Under 16s are allowed to race in 4 cats races as well

9Road racing members Empty Re: Road racing members Mon 28 Feb 2011, 06:25

Rich Walker

Rich Walker

Many Thanks for the Info Roboman.

We are fielding a strong race commitment this season and if anyone is racing in RED WHITE and BLUE then please contact me for the up to date plans. I may be able to make your day. It’s good to be in the North End!

Rich

10Road racing members Empty Re: Road racing members Tue 01 Mar 2011, 03:52

Roboman

Roboman

Hi rich I have just bought a lot of new kit from paul and have worn it at hillingdon (see pic) I only finished 5th but the top 2 got dqued for pulling 53 x 11's so I scored a single point for the club

https://i.servimg.com/u/f63/16/23/65/99/januar10.jpg

11Road racing members Empty Re: Road racing members Tue 01 Mar 2011, 05:16

Rich Walker

Rich Walker

Hi Rob,
That’s a cracking picture bud. i must admit i had to look twice when i saw a young lady from FWCC hacking round the track Friday on YOUR BIKE!! I can see from the picture now why that is. So how is the new machine? It’s an Orbea isn’t it?
I always say there is no point in having a £2000 bike if you only have 20p legs and its fantastic to see that you have got it right. I can see that your £2000 legs are gaining results with your new machine. Well done!

Tom came out with me last week and this was the first time he had been on his bike all year. He went to the track Friday also and took several seconds off his 200 sprint time. I hope that he can build on this success and join you in gaining club points.

Do you think that you will be able to join us on some weekend rides this year? See if you can drag your old man out as well eh?!

What sort of weekly mileage are you getting in? Or what amount of riding time are you managing?

I am reading a book at the moment that Keith Jarrett leant me and its quite shocking the amount of time you should be putting in the saddle on a 'Daily' basis. it obviously depends on your personal goals and circumstances but as a good reference it does bring the commitment need into very sharp focus.

Anyway mate, i hope you are well and please either mail, call or PM me as i have some private info that will be to your advantage.

Take it easy.

Rich

12Road racing members Empty Re: Road racing members Tue 01 Mar 2011, 07:28

Roboman

Roboman

cheers rich its an full carbon orbea with the new 105 on it. I got it from velocity and really recomend them they have measured my up and got the positioning perfect!

http://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicis/modelos/onix_t105_ct/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum