Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

Charity Quiz Night with supper - 7/9/15

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Alan C

Alan C

Club Quiz Night in Support of Sam Moore’s Fundraising Ironman Challenge – 7pm on the 7th September at VIBC clubroom

Sam Moore is competing in Iron Man Wales in order to raise funds for the charity which supports suffers of Ehlos-Danlos Syndrome (EDS). The following link will take you to the website for this most challenging of events. http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman/wales.aspx#axzz3iDlUtVPW

EDS is a rare condition without a cure and has several tiers of severity, all, however, can make it very difficult if not impossible to lead a normal life. Sam’s cousin Susie has Type 4 vascular EDS, and is one of 7 people world wide with a gene mutation that also plays havoc with her body. Put simply her body produces too much collagen, her limbs pop out and she has to have splints to support them – even on her fingers. In addition to this she has and will continue to have spontaneous ruptures which can be life threatening and a simple knock or illness can cause one. Susie would love to work and enjoy a normal life but this is not possible due to reduced mobility, fragility and continued loss of sight. The Club Committee have kindly agreed that we should run a Quiz Night to help raise funds for Elhers-Danlos Support UK which provides invaluable support and raises awareness of this rare genetic disorder. The link below provides more information on the work of this charity: http://www.ehlers-danlos.org/

The Quiz Night will take place on the 7th of September at VIBC and will start at 7pm, supper will be served from 7:15 with the Quiz starting at 8pm and finishing at 10:30. The ticket price for quiz entry and meal, is £12 per person, of which £5.50 will go to Elhers-Danlos Support UK. We are anticipating that Sam’s cousin Susie will be well enough to attend the Quiz so that we can have the pleasure of meeting this brave young lady

The format will be general knowledge "pub" quiz style with several themed rounds, including a cycling one. Please feel free to invite family & friends to this event. Teams should consist of around 6-8 players but don’t worry if you can’t form a team, just come along and we will organise you into a team on the night. If you cannot make supper but would like to take part in the Quiz just let us know and we will arrange it for you.

Food wise the menu options are Beef Lasagne with Salad/chips; or Veg Lasagne with Salad/chips or Chicken Pie with chips and Peas. Optional pudding, at an additional cost of £2.00, is either fruit pavlova or apple pie and custard (Special Dietary requirements will be catered for if requested)

Usual conditions apply, so please let me know your menu choices via email to social@pnecc.co.uk , and get your payment to Alan Collins, or another committee member, before 5th September. No Payment = No Food

Please do attend and support Sam in this massive challenge. If you would like to support Sam directly then take a look at her giving page at: https://www.justgiving.com/Samantha-Moore12

Alan C

Alan C

Message from Sam:
Firstly I would like to thank you all for attending the quiz night and helping to raise funds for Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. I would have liked to have said a few words about what I am doing and why, but with Suzie next to me, I was choked.
The reality is that I would love to be able to help find a cure so that she and others could lead normal lives or close to normal lives but I can't, so the best I can do is try to raise awareness. The money raised this evening will be added to the just giving page - I thank you all once again for your kind words, support and encouragement.
Please see the link below
https://www.justgiving.com/Samantha-Moore12 for the total online sponsorship so far.

The training for this event has not been easy due to changes in my shift pattern, illness and injuries however this is not about finishing first or getting a PB, it will be tough but no matter how tough it gets it will not compare to what I have seen my beautiful cousin go through every day. If you haven't read the "Just giving" page I urge you to spare 10 minutes of your time to it, so you know why this is so important to me.

Quiz entry fees and Raffle raised over £215 for EDS and this has been added to Sams Just Giving page.

Thanks are due to Quizmasters Ray, Ann and Richard, for compiling and delivering the challenging questions Question , and to Fresh Catering for serving up such delicious food bounce .

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum