Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

Winter evening chaingang

+3
MarineMark
Ray
mozzy
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Winter evening chaingang Empty Winter evening chaingang Mon 09 Sep 2013, 23:37

mozzy

mozzy

Last winter, as well as Wednesdays at Mountbatten, I did a few evening rides around Hayling, some with a couple of mates.

Is anyone keen on setting a regular evening for this winter and doing some chaingangs to keep fitness up? Mountbatten is good, but when forty riders turn up and you only get two goes on the front its not always the best workout with the speeds being kept quite low.

Obviously riding in the dark on public roads is hazardous. However, Hayling is pretty ideally suited, as it's well lit, open roads with a good line of sight and a 40 or 30 speed limit. Good lights and a bit of high viz would be needed.

This is the route I tended to do, gets a 5 minute warm up loop then into the main loop with all left turns.

http://www.strava.com/activities/37173004

2Winter evening chaingang Empty Re: Winter evening chaingang Tue 10 Sep 2013, 10:36

Ray

Ray

As I ride on Hayling quite a bit I'll try to join you

3Winter evening chaingang Empty Re: Winter evening chaingang Wed 11 Sep 2013, 23:27

andrew waddington

Yes, I'd be keen. Would have to be 18:30 or 19:00 to give me chance to get there after work. What time were you thinking?

4Winter evening chaingang Empty Re: Winter evening chaingang Thu 12 Sep 2013, 00:11

mozzy

mozzy

I was actually thinking half 6 or 7 depending on what suited others. Last year I tended to do it around then as it gave chance for traffic to die down, but early enough that I could eat a decent dinner after.

5Winter evening chaingang Empty Re: Winter evening chaingang Thu 12 Sep 2013, 00:18

andrew waddington

Sounds good. Let's hope we can get a few more.

6Winter evening chaingang Empty Re: Winter evening chaingang Sun 15 Sep 2013, 06:14

MarineMark

MarineMark

I may be interested as I need to up my training through the Winter for a 3000km ride from Gibraltar to St Malo next May.

I'll keep you posted!! :-)

Mark

http://www.marcelloentertainment.co.uk

7Winter evening chaingang Empty Re: Winter evening chaingang Thu 19 Sep 2013, 05:35

Stevie Went

Stevie Went

I would be up for it, what would be av speed though, don't wanna slow you guys down lol:lol: 

8Winter evening chaingang Empty Re: Winter evening chaingang Thu 19 Sep 2013, 18:45

mozzy

mozzy

Well, I normally do 21+ on my own, so I guess around there. However, it's quite easy to hit a high average on Hayling as it's so flat, so that probably comparable to a 18-19 mph club run.

Turn up, see how you go, you can always sit on the back and skip turns if you're struggling.

So what day suits? I'd prefer Thursday. 6.30 pm?

9Winter evening chaingang Empty Re: Winter evening chaingang Thu 19 Sep 2013, 19:02

Ray

Ray

Will that be today Thursday or at a future date to be announced? Meeting around Beach Road / Sea Front area?

10Winter evening chaingang Empty Re: Winter evening chaingang Thu 19 Sep 2013, 19:43

mozzy

mozzy

Thursday at a future point yet to be announced.

I was thinking of starting in October, basically once its dark at 6.30.

So maybe Thursday 3rd October, 6.30 pm. We can meet next to Mengham Station on the seafront railway, where Sea Grove Ave meets the Seafront.

Then same time every Thursday from then on.

Decent front and back lights, rear mudguard if the roads are wet. Through and off. Should be good to keep the legs turning over the winter.

11Winter evening chaingang Empty Re: Winter evening chaingang Thu 19 Sep 2013, 22:03

Ray

Ray

Ok, I've added it to my diary so all being well I'll see you there on the 3rd

12Winter evening chaingang Empty Re: Winter evening chaingang Thu 19 Sep 2013, 23:02

MarineMark

MarineMark

Hi Mozzy,

Got it in my Diary too. See you all then. Now to get some lights and mudgaurds :-( Is it really Winter sooon???? Crying or Very sad santa 

Mark

13Winter evening chaingang Empty Re: Winter evening chaingang Fri 20 Sep 2013, 05:31

Stevie Went

Stevie Went

Yep, its in mine too
Very Happy 

14Winter evening chaingang Empty Re: Winter evening chaingang Fri 20 Sep 2013, 23:06

andrew waddington

Will probably miss first one but will be there after that.

15Winter evening chaingang Empty Re: Winter evening chaingang Wed 02 Oct 2013, 19:19

Ray

Ray

The BBC's weather forecast for tomorrow evening on Hayling doesn't look suitable for a chaingang ride to me Sad

A thunderstorm between 18:00-20:00 which follows on from heavy rain all afternoon, only to be replaced by light rain showers after the storm!

I know the weather we get on the day may well be different to the forecast but if I'm not at Mengham Station at 18:30 then don't wait for me. I'll try again next week, weather permitting Wink

Have a safe ride

16Winter evening chaingang Empty Re: Winter evening chaingang Wed 02 Oct 2013, 19:53

mozzy

mozzy

Yeah, weather could be an issue. As it's outside my house I'll go out and meet anyone who comes, but given the forecast and that you have a distance to cycle I won't be offended if I find myself alone.

17Winter evening chaingang Empty Re: Winter evening chaingang Thu 03 Oct 2013, 22:18

mozzy

mozzy

So, it looks like it's going to be wet, and quite windy.

If other people are coming I'll turn up, however, if no-one fancies it I don't mind postponing until next week.

Unless I hear back on here, or by text O79192four8five3, I'll be be at the train stop on the seafront at 1830.

18Winter evening chaingang Empty Re: Winter evening chaingang Thu 03 Oct 2013, 23:50

Ray

Ray

I've just watched the BBC's local weather forecast & we could get a dry slot so I'm going to play it by ear Smile & its definitely more promising than was forecast yesterday.

Don't wait for me if I'm not there by 18:30 though.

19Winter evening chaingang Empty Re: Winter evening chaingang Fri 04 Oct 2013, 03:21

MarineMark

MarineMark

Hi Guys,

Count me out to for tonight, got to get round from Pompey so could be a wet squid by the time I get back :-(

Mark

20Winter evening chaingang Empty Re: Winter evening chaingang Thu 10 Oct 2013, 20:11

mozzy

mozzy

6.30 this evening again, looking nice and dry this week. My mate Tristan will be coming along too.

See you this evening.

21Winter evening chaingang Empty Re: Winter evening chaingang Thu 10 Oct 2013, 20:13

andrew waddington

Hopefully may make it tonight but don't wait for me

22Winter evening chaingang Empty Re: Winter evening chaingang Thu 10 Oct 2013, 23:23

Ray

Ray

I intend coming along again but don't wait for me if I'm not there by 18:30 though.

23Winter evening chaingang Empty Re: Winter evening chaingang Thu 17 Oct 2013, 20:27

andrew waddington

Anyone out tonight? I will be there if anyone else will.

24Winter evening chaingang Empty Re: Winter evening chaingang Thu 17 Oct 2013, 21:55

mozzy

mozzy

I will be there. Tristan said he was coming too.

25Winter evening chaingang Empty Re: Winter evening chaingang Thu 17 Oct 2013, 23:13

Ray

Ray

Me too, I'll be there

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum