Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

CYCLE ACCIDENTS

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1CYCLE ACCIDENTS Empty CYCLE ACCIDENTS Fri 23 Nov 2012, 02:25

Hi everyone,

For those of you that have not yet been made aware two members of our club have been hit by motorists this week, that being Dick and Ray.
As I understand Rays bike has come off worst in his incident however Dick has not been so lucky and to my knowledge is currently in hospital in a great deal of pain. Both were wearing appropriate cycling gear and lights but that has not stopped these accidents taking place.

I ask that you all take great care whilst you are out and about, sacrifice speed for safety (I know that will be hard for those of you trying to retain KOMS/QOMS) but visibility is greatly reduced when the weather is as it has been. Please ensure that your bikes are road worthy and if you have dropped your hat or you cant remember when you purchased it then I would urge you to consider purchasing a hew one.

Take care and ride safe X

2CYCLE ACCIDENTS Empty Re: CYCLE ACCIDENTS Thu 29 Nov 2012, 22:10

Robski

This morning a car clipped my rear wheel on a roundabout while failing to give way to the right.
My lights were on, (blinding flashing front light) a hi vis endura jacket and still not seen.
A little shaken up but not deterred from riding a bike. Bad thing is, the driver just continued on as if they missed me. An out of line Khamsin wheel that needs replacing is proof of the contact, plus the sideways shove I recieved.

The correct people have been informed with the reg number.

3CYCLE ACCIDENTS Empty Re: CYCLE ACCIDENTS Thu 29 Nov 2012, 23:09

jerryc

jerryc

Robski wrote:This morning a car clipped my rear wheel on a roundabout while failing to give way to the right.
My lights were on, (blinding flashing front light) a hi vis endura jacket and still not seen.
A little shaken up but not deterred from riding a bike. Bad thing is, the driver just continued on as if they missed me. An out of line Khamsin wheel that needs replacing is proof of the contact, plus the sideways shove I recieved.

The correct people have been informed with the reg number.

Glad you're ok, relatively. Look forward to hearing the correct people have caught up with the driver and voiced the error of their ways.

4CYCLE ACCIDENTS Empty Re: CYCLE ACCIDENTS Fri 30 Nov 2012, 05:22

Ray

Ray

I'm glad you are able to tell the tale Smile

Be careful out there everybody.

5CYCLE ACCIDENTS Empty CYCLE ACCIDENTS Sun 02 Dec 2012, 04:35

martinR

[b]Very narrow escape this afternoon using the cycle track at the roundabout between Havant recycling and the A3. Lane changing sociopath who hasn't mastered the art of indicating going too fast missed my front wheel by a whisker.

Recent events and the to and fro in The News have made me think about how the conflict between cyclist and motorists came to pass. I've tried to be rational and open minded but my conclusion is some of the motoring and cycling fraternity are beyond redemption. Offending and offensive motorists are probably at the top of their game and do not have any spare capacity to adapt to the prevailing road conditions, how else do we explain their hyper-emotional, bordering on hysterical, over-reactions and foul language.

You also have to have some sympathy for non-cyclists complaining about some cyclists anti-social stunts. The cyclist riding on the pavement last night with no lights(why is that significant?) probably hasn't profited from my advisory!

The end result is I have left behind all rational argument and think all transgressors, regardless of affiliation, will not benefit from education or discussion. Hit 'em in the pockets where it hurts-are helmet cams the future? Should we have one on every club ride? Twisted Evil

6CYCLE ACCIDENTS Empty TV Tip Mon 03 Dec 2012, 07:40

Ray

Ray

This might be an interesting program.

"The BBC has announced that it will air its one hour special documentary on cyclists and motorists, fueled by helmet cam footage, at 9pm on BBC1 on 5th December."

7CYCLE ACCIDENTS Empty Re: CYCLE ACCIDENTS Mon 03 Dec 2012, 07:42

Ray

Ray

Link to article on road.cc website

BBC documentary

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum