Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

which garmin?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1which garmin? Empty which garmin? Sat 16 Jun 2012, 22:46

Mark.McF

Mark.McF

i'm thinking of buying a garmin for the bike, either poss a 500 or a 800, any opinions on either welcome.
is the 500 any good at navigation?
i'm thinkin ordnance survey mapping on the mtb would be a good idea.
also anyone know if a different heart rate belt like a sigma work with a garmin?

also i've heard that a new 800 is due out? anyone know when?
thanks
Mark.

2which garmin? Empty Re: which garmin? Sun 17 Jun 2012, 02:37

jerryc

jerryc

800 has a bigger display and is in colour (biggest difference evident on navigation - different colour roads). If looking at the map rather than navigating I personally still find the 800 screen too small as to get the level of detail I want (minor roads/tracks) I have to zoom in too far and then can't see where I'm actually going. I bought the 800 with maps of the whole of Western Europe so this was also an advantage for me over the 500.

Have seen several reports that off road the speed and distance recorded is inaccurate (unless you have the speed and cadence sensor on) as it relies on GPS - both rely on the same GPS signal so shouldn't be any difference between them.

If weight is important, you don't need navigation or you crash a lot* go for the 500.

If you're willing to compromise a few grams for a more powerful unit that also does navigation - go for the 800.

*Smaller unit so less chance of damaging, that said mine has stood up well on the road bike as the hoods seem to hit the ground before the stem.

3which garmin? Empty Re: which garmin? Sun 17 Jun 2012, 04:30

Graham C

Graham C

Hi Mark
I too have a Garmin 800, had it since Christmas and was like you in deliberating over the 800 or 500. In the end due to the offer that was on I went for the top unit plus a fitting kit and cadence/speed sensor for my 2nd bike.

Excellent piece of kit and I feel worth the extra over the 500. The touchscreen is flawless for me. I have dabbled with some of the features and have programmed it to do workouts on the turbo, which worked well. Easy to switch between bikes once you have tapped in all their details, HRM strap is very comfortable much better than my Polar one.

I cannot comment on the mapping/navigating as I have not used it to direct me on a ride. I aim to download the Mega Meon course I'm doing on to it to and check it against the directions given on the route arrows etc.

The Garmin Connect website is easy to use and this would be the same for either unit.

One thing to be aware of is that when and if you buy the 800 make sure it comes bundled with the City Navigator Europe NT SD Card as they do sell the unit without it. The basic maps on the standard unit are rubbish and to buy the CN card separately is a hideous price and makes the cost of the unit more expensive.

There is an Ordinance survey SD card bundle option which I believe would be be more suited to MTB navigation as the CN card is aimed more at road riding.

As for your HRM I assume it would pair up, but depending on which bundle you go for a HRM may come with it. I'm aware there is a new model on it's way, as for the differences I've not bothered to find out.

It might make the 800 cheaper though and give it a further edge (pun intended) over the 500.

Hope that helps, any more questions just post them up and I will try and respond.

Regards

Graham

4which garmin? Empty Re: which garmin? Sun 17 Jun 2012, 06:47

Mark.McF

Mark.McF

thanks for the replies, i'm 'edging' towards the 800 i think.

5which garmin? Empty Re: which garmin? Mon 18 Jun 2012, 22:39

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

Very Happy Probably not much help with your dilemna but....

I have progressed through Garmin products from the 2 series, a 605 Edge and now with the 705 Edge. I had an issue with a broken screen on the 605 (my fault) and when sending it off to Southampton Garmin for repairs was replaced with a new 705 Edge + Cadence sensor + HR monitor by them for £80 - so that really was a bonus! I have had issues (again probably from my own abuse of the product - downloading maps based on mapsource etc. from 'talky-toaster' and using them quite happily for navigation & routing abroad and at home). I've had to re-install/update the software from time to time...which is easy....but would be lost without it (pun intended) Suspect

There are quite a few 'new' cycle specific gps routing items available (Wiggle make a lot of new products even loaning them on sportives) but I think Garmin are brilliant. alien

http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum