Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

Annoying tick from front wheel

+2
trigwill
Mark Capocci
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Annoying tick from front wheel Empty Annoying tick from front wheel Fri 06 Apr 2012, 08:03

Mark Capocci

Mark Capocci

Hi Paul,

I'm not sure if you would be kind enough to take a look at my front wheel that seems to constantly tick when rolling when under load.

I went over a pot hole last Sunday on the sportive I took part in and the result is this ticking noise.

If not then I guess I will have to take it to a shop. I'm not sure if the club offers this sort of help or not??

Many thanks,

Mark

2Annoying tick from front wheel Empty Re: Annoying tick from front wheel Fri 06 Apr 2012, 10:59

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

Very Happy First thing check all your spokes are tensioned and you haven't a loose or broken one, is the wheel still true (and the ticking isn't brake rub from untrue wheel). alien

http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

3Annoying tick from front wheel Empty Re: Annoying tick from front wheel Fri 06 Apr 2012, 19:42

Mark Capocci

Mark Capocci

Wheel is true. I've given each spoke a wiggle all seem to be good. If I hold the front of the bike up and spin the front wheel, no tick, therefore the noise is only when under my load and rolling. I suspect it maybe a spoke that needs a tweak which If I attempt to do will certainly put the wheel out of true Rolling Eyes

Thanks for your reply.

4Annoying tick from front wheel Empty Re: Annoying tick from front wheel Fri 06 Apr 2012, 20:38

Robski

Silly it may be, have you a sensor on your forks that aligns upto of s spoke magnet?
Deflate your tyre and re-seat it.
Have you got sealed or loose bearings?

One of those annoying things that drive you mad, in a car just up the radio lol

Rob.

5Annoying tick from front wheel Empty Re: Annoying tick from front wheel Fri 06 Apr 2012, 21:57

Mark Capocci

Mark Capocci

Rob,

I checked the magnet and computer sensor, there is clearance so i've ruled that out. Tweaked the hub too but not stripped it. Also had the tyre/tube off and back on. I'm thinking i need to take it all apart again and check the spokes going into the rim.

I was thinking about pegging a piece of card to the fork so it hits every spoke like we all did when we were kids Very Happy Maybe some coloured straws on each spoke too, would look good??

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers

Mark

6Annoying tick from front wheel Empty Re: Annoying tick from front wheel Fri 06 Apr 2012, 22:28

Mark.McF

Mark.McF

if you're fitting all that lot then streamers from the end of the handlebars look cool too Laughing

are your bearings sealed or cup and cone?
even though there is clearance between magnet and sensor, makes sure there is enough, wheels can flex under load especially if they are tired

7Annoying tick from front wheel Empty Re: Annoying tick from front wheel Fri 06 Apr 2012, 22:31

Mark Capocci

Mark Capocci

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed I think it's sorted. I backed the skewer right off and the tick has gone! I guess the skewer being too tight is pushing the hub/bearings up and something was not seating properly. It makes sense as not only did I hit a pothole last weekend but the front wheel came off twice for punctures, so in a rush I slapped it all back together and rode off.

I feel a bit of an idiot really!!

Thanks for the replies,

Mark

8Annoying tick from front wheel Empty Re: Annoying tick from front wheel Fri 06 Apr 2012, 23:18

jerryc

jerryc

mjc1 wrote:I feel a bit of an idiot really!!

Not quite nana award calibre I'm afraid...

9Annoying tick from front wheel Empty Re: Annoying tick from front wheel Sat 07 Apr 2012, 00:03

Charlie96

Charlie96

jerryc wrote:

Yeah... Keep off my patch Cool

10Annoying tick from front wheel Empty Re: Annoying tick from front wheel Sat 07 Apr 2012, 02:04

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

Charlie96 wrote:
jerryc wrote:

Yeah... Keep off my patch Cool

Very Happy yeah....you remember there was a patch.......but just can't find it?
lol!

http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum