Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

Turbo trainer,which one?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Turbo trainer,which one? Empty Turbo trainer,which one? Thu 11 Aug 2011, 04:12

Mark.McF

Mark.McF

Well i've gone and done something stupid and spiral fractured my left ankle, came off my mountain bike.
luckily no surgery required but 2 months to heal, i've got another 4 weeks in cast then i'll need physio.
i haven't got a turbo trainer but i can feel my leg slimming down alot and my fitness must be dropping away so i'm considering buying one.
any advice on good or bad ones?
thanks in advance,
Mark.

2Turbo trainer,which one? Empty Re: Turbo trainer,which one? Thu 11 Aug 2011, 05:27

Robski

Choices are abundant out there, rollers or turbo.
The more you pay on either means a better product obviously, I have a set of cyclo fluid ops http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cycleops/fluid-2-trainer-ec007003

Lovely to ride but pricey

Rollers are fun but you need to keep your eye on the front wheel.

Hope this helps a little

3Turbo trainer,which one? Empty Re: Turbo trainer,which one? Thu 11 Aug 2011, 05:32

Mark.McF

Mark.McF

cheers Rob,
i've been looking at kurt ones aswell.
i'm assuming fluid ones are better than air beuse they seem to cost more Smile

i was going to get a static turbo rather than rollers so i cant fall off Laughing

Mark

4Turbo trainer,which one? Empty Re: Turbo trainer,which one? Sat 13 Aug 2011, 10:46

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

Very Happy Depends on what you want to pay, basic turbo trainers with adjustable resistance work perfectly fine, although will be noisier than fluid resistance ones (drone). Rollers are more fun as you have to balance and 30 minutes on rollers is more intense than 30 minutes on a turbo(the last thing you need though is to fall onto your ankle from the rollers - a doorway setup always works best for balance assist).

With your recovery also consider the benefits of 'water-running' (in a pool trying to run upright which will provide an excellent non-load bearing work-out - some buoyancy aids can be used to keep upright), also consider swimming as an alternative exercise which will help you retain fitness and endurance - just be careful on wall push-offs during lengths.

Listen to your Physio and don't rush your recovery, you escaped surgery this time alien

http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

5Turbo trainer,which one? Empty Re: Turbo trainer,which one? Sat 13 Aug 2011, 18:07

Mark.McF

Mark.McF

i've been doing some research and i think i'm going to get a fluid one but not a cheapy else they seem to leak.
i think you're right, hurry up and wait will be the order of the day.
i'm missing the best bit of summer on the sofa Sad

6Turbo trainer,which one? Empty Re: Turbo trainer,which one? Wed 28 Sep 2011, 06:42

jerryc

jerryc

So...I found an old turbo trainer (looks like the cyclops classic) lying around the house and 30 minutes and 22.8kms later I have not a lot of rubber on my back tyre as it's all over my bedroom floor...OOPS!

1. Presume it's not supposed to do that?
2. Does that mean I set the resistance too high or too low or just went a bit fast? I did ramp the training up a bit....
3. Should I have let my tyre pressure down a bit? It was set to max correct pressure.

Any other suggestions?

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/117511067

7Turbo trainer,which one? Empty Re: Turbo trainer,which one? Wed 28 Sep 2011, 07:44

Robski

They do special turbo tyres, worth it in the long run. Too much contact pressure can shred your tyre in only 30 mins.

Happened to sam only the other day on brand new tyres, had words. Lol

Rob

8Turbo trainer,which one? Empty Re: Turbo trainer,which one? Wed 28 Sep 2011, 23:16

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

Very Happy As Rob said minimal tyre contact, keep pressure normal (if you reduce you can again increase contact area), vary resistance with turbo adjuster if fitted, or select higher gearing to increase effort. Concentrate on good cadence, circular pedalling (imagine you're wiping your feet on a mat),consider raising your front wheel to get that uphill effect again increases the effort. Remember you still need to complete a gradual warm-up and good cool-down spin. A wireless computer fitted to the back wheel will also give you some record and target goals for each session? depending on your turbo location remember to have a fan or good ventilation as you will heat up quicker - and watch that floor/carpet soak up the sweat! alien

http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

9Turbo trainer,which one? Empty Re: Turbo trainer,which one? Thu 29 Sep 2011, 04:11

Mark.McF

Mark.McF

i bought the kurt kinetic road machine, its a fluid trainer.
also got a turbo specific tyre for it.
fitted up in the garage with speedo pick up on rear wheel with fan infront for when i overheat.
i can just walk now with one crutch and have spun my legs on the turbo, but for physio rather than training, broken ankles can take some time to heal Sad
i wont be on the road for some time yet.
on the plus side the turbo seems very well made and should be put to good use over the winter.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]