Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dealing with Heat

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Dealing with Heat Empty Dealing with Heat Mon 08 Jul 2013, 21:35

timhiggs

timhiggs

Hi all,
I was wondering if I could bathe in the clubs vast experience of cycling clothing!
Whilst riding back to petersfield from Chichester this sunday, I was really struggling to cope with the heat and got a few funny looks in the pub when I stopped off for a cold drink! I've seen some adverts for cooling base layers from online shops that I have used, and was wondering if they genuinely help or are a gimmick? I saw that a few riders on sunday's ride were wearing something under their jersey so I guess not, so I would be interested to know peoples thoughts on staying cool. My current approach is just to wear as little as possible, which seemed to fail me yesterday!

Tim

2Dealing with Heat Empty Re: Dealing with Heat Mon 08 Jul 2013, 22:10

Graham C

Graham C

Hi Tim
Yes base layers are a very useful piece of clothing they work well and I always wear one. Personally I use Craft base layers, I've not tried other brands but these work a treat in wicking the sweat away. They also keep you slightly warmer in the not so hot days.

Here is a link to the one I was wearing, it is very light and close fitting. I have their long sleeved winter version as well which comes with a windstopper front panel.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-cool-mesh-superlight-sleeveless-base-layer/

Graham

3Dealing with Heat Empty Re: Dealing with Heat Mon 08 Jul 2013, 22:44

Swaff

Swaff

Probably not a good idea to go in the pub for a cold drink. You need to start drinking before you feel thirsty, take small sips constantly and don't have the drink too cold. Yesterday I had 2 drinks at home before I left and had 2 750ml bottles on the bike with High5 isotonic powder. At the hospital filled up the empty with water, normally I would add a High5 iso. tablet but forgot to take it.

On days that hot I wear what looks like a lightweight 'string vest'. It keeps the PNE top away from the skin and and the little air 'pockets' seem to aid sweat evaporation. Had it awhile and not sure were I bought it, just has 'Dry@' and made in Italy on the label.

Also if you stop, make sure you find some shade first.

4Dealing with Heat Empty Re: Dealing with Heat Mon 08 Jul 2013, 22:49

Swaff

Swaff

Sorry forgot to spell check, 'where' not 'were', I know the spelling police are out there.

5Dealing with Heat Empty Re: Dealing with Heat Tue 23 Jul 2013, 00:24

timhiggs

timhiggs

So whilst I accidentally looked up Monday's train timetable on Saturday night and as a result failed to make it to the george in time on Sunday, I did ride 58 miles in the heat and the craft base layers are great! Cheers for the recommendation and heads up on the offer Graham!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum