Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hits and Near Misses

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hits and Near Misses Empty Hits and Near Misses Thu 06 Jun 2013, 07:40

martinR

Has anyone else noticed that hardly a ride goes by without an incident or near miss occurring?

As an example, a group of assorted cyclists including some PNECC members were on a group ride today and 2 significant near misses occurred involving a very experienced rider and a car in one incident and a pedestrian in the second event.

Whilst correctly indicating and executing a right turn towards Fishbourne from the Chichester back road a soft top Saab decided to overtake a group of 4 into the path of an on coming vehicle - a very close call which could have had fatal consequences for riders, motorist and oncoming traffic.

In the second of today's incidents an experienced rider narrowly missed an elderly pedestrian crossing the road without due care and waving a walking stick at rider's head height.

You are all probably aware of several club members who have needed hospital treatment because of various accidents in the recent past. Fortunately all seem to be on the road to recovery.

It can feel like a war zone out there, I'm not sure we are learning the valuable lessons of each incident as the facts get sorted into the anecdotes file.

Perhaps it is time to start looking at significant events with a view to risk managing the riding conditions which have evolved on today's roads. The benefits accrue to safe induction of new members, evidential record keeping, training needs analysis (both us and 'them') and the wealth of material creating a powerful addition to local and national lobbying for improved cycling awareness.

Any views or shall we just carry on as usual?

2Hits and Near Misses Empty Re: Hits and Near Misses Wed 12 Jun 2013, 06:53

Ian N

I totally agree Martin. Since I took up road cycling, I've been amazed by how much ignorance and even hatred there is about cyclists amongst motorists and pedestrians. I find it really difficult to understand.

I consider myself to be a very roadwise and considerate rider yet still, I seem to suffer from inconsiderate drivers most times I go out. Recent problems have included;
-cars passing too close (often happens)
-cars overtaking me, just before turning left and cutting me off
-pulling out in front of me without looking
-etc., etc., etc.

The most severe recent event happened when I was riding along Hambledon Parade back to Waterlooville from Denmead. I was well in to the side of the road but even so, a car came from behind me with his hand held on the horn and then cut in front of me, so that I had to stop. I banged my fist on the side of the car in protest and the driver got out. When I asked him what his problem was, he pointed to the pavement and said, "There's a cycle lane, use it!" I then treated him to my full repertiore of expletives and told him exactly what I thought of him (at no time did I make any threats). After that, he meekly got back into his car and drove off.

I think we are battling against ignorance, impatience and selfishness. Many motorists believe we have no moral right to be on the road. The pathetic attemts at cycle lanes, which councils provide to meet government targets, compound the problem, rather than solving it. Almost all of them are completely useless for a cyclist riding at speed, for a number of reasons. However, motorists believe that since they have been provided, we have an obligation to use them.

I'm not sure what we can realistically do about this. Lobbying local authorities, participating in steering groups for transport policy and promoting cycling within the community are all very worthwhile things to be doing. Sharing information about incidents would also be worthwhile, to see if there are patterns of behaviour or incident blackspots that we can learn from. However, the realist in me thinks that battling against ignorance and selfishness is very difficult indeed.

For my part, I intend to continue to assertively defend my right to be on the road, whenever I am challenged or subjected to inconsiderate motorists. Embarassed

3Hits and Near Misses Empty Re: Hits and Near Misses Thu 13 Jun 2013, 23:48

jerryc

jerryc

Perhaps it would be productive for anyone interested to attend the next meeting of the 'Portsmouth Cycle Forum' - http://www.pompeybug.co.uk/ - Thursday 11th July 1900 @ The Guildhall

I must confess I've only just heard about them whilst trying to dig up some info on National Bike Week which launches this Saturday (15th June) - 1100 - 1600 in Southsea by the Skate park. Details here: http://www.myjourneyportsmouth.com/bikeweek

4Hits and Near Misses Empty Re: Hits and Near Misses Fri 14 Jun 2013, 02:12

Ian N

I think that's a good idea Jerry.

It's a good start but I expect that they are only concerned with the Portsmouth City Council area. Does anyone know if there are similar fora for the boroughs outside Portsmouth ?

Cheers,

Ian

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum