Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

Helmets save lives

+2
BenD
Stevie Went
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Helmets save lives Empty Helmets save lives Sat 20 Apr 2013, 20:25

Stevie Went

Stevie Went

For them who don't know I was involved in another crash on Eastrn Rd yesterday. Was out with Martin Randle and we were apparently just at the Tangiers road end heading to Southsea. I looked down t c mph (23 at that time) next thing im face down in a pool of blood. Memory very sketchy but Martin tells me that I collided and demolished a bollard before landing face first about 20 feet up the path. Needed stitches inside and out of upper lip after a dislodged tooth chose that way to exit my mouth, have gravel rash on left forearm, r knuckles and both knees. Feel like been hit by a bus now and apparently bike isn't that bad, it appears I came of the worse. However upon waking the morning and seeing the damage to my helmet (check out piccie on fb) the realisation is that could and would have been a whole lot worse. Anybody and I mean anybody who thinks its safe to any distance with a good helmet, take heed, I genuinely believe I wouldn't be talking to you now were it not for mine affraid

2Helmets save lives Empty Re: Helmets save lives Sat 20 Apr 2013, 20:30

BenD

BenD

Blimey Steve, you fall off more than Miguel!
Have to get some airbags fitted to the bike.
Glad you're ok (ish)

3Helmets save lives Empty Re: Helmets save lives Sat 20 Apr 2013, 20:32

jerryc

jerryc

I cracked a helmet at the track in January, still had a blinding head ache but my skull was in tact Smile

4Helmets save lives Empty Helmets save lives Sun 21 Apr 2013, 05:49

martinR

As a post script Steve had a narrow escape and I enthusiastically support the comments about helmets - no debate they saved Steve from a significant life changing head injury.

Having seen Steve in to the back of the ambulance I cycled off with the 2 bikes, easy enough until I clattered my ankle on an SPD pedal (I was on a single speed) and sliced open an artery on the side of my ankle, didn't notice at first but soon realised a spurting fountain of blood coming through my sock! was a bit out of the ordinary. My shoe rapidly filled up with the red stuff before I had chance to sit down, pull off shoe and sock, breath a sigh of relief I wasn't met by a compound fracture fibula and apply a bit of pressure to the blood vessel.

Long story short, sent to QA by the nice paramedics for an X ray and pressure dressing and of course meet up with Steve (now being comforted by his lovely fiancé Michelle). Steve was bearing up manfully being cheered by the news they had found his brain during the CT scan they ran owing to the nature of his injury.

Speedy recovery Steve, the bikes in reasonable shape but will need some attention, not terminal.

In consequence I won't be at the time trial tomorrow but I am going to attempt the Sunday ride - anybody got a tourniquet?

5Helmets save lives Empty Re: Helmets save lives Sun 21 Apr 2013, 18:24

Stevie Went

Stevie Went

Ha ha Ben, you plum, Jezza, I was there that night pal, remember it well, and Martin, what a day hey pal, sorry you having t miss time trial, (Good luck to one n all who are doing it)thanks once again for everything mate. see you all soon me hopes x peace

6Helmets save lives Empty Re: Helmets save lives Tue 23 Apr 2013, 20:57

Paul Martin

Paul Martin
Admin

I hope you get well soon Steve - nana award nominees, both of you. The bleeding to death while trying to wheel someone else's bike is a new one on me and worth a mention in dispatches for Martin! What a Face

7Helmets save lives Empty Helmets save lives Thu 25 Apr 2013, 06:37

martinR

Way to go Paul, looks like you are now doing 'kit and derision'

8Helmets save lives Empty Re: Helmets save lives Fri 03 May 2013, 06:03

Ray

Ray

Mind how you go; the bollard is back in place! Shocked

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum