Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

Time trial this Sunday?

+4
keith
Paul Martin
jerryc
Mark Capocci
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Time trial this Sunday? Empty Time trial this Sunday? Wed 14 Mar 2012, 20:25

Mark Capocci

Mark Capocci

Is there a PNECC club Time Trial this coming Sunday?

Many thanks,

Mark

2Time trial this Sunday? Empty Re: Time trial this Sunday? Thu 15 Mar 2012, 00:30

jerryc

jerryc

Our website would imply there is, 10 mile course P841 - Funtington -> Chichester and back...8.30am start No

3Time trial this Sunday? Empty Re: Time trial this Sunday? Thu 15 Mar 2012, 01:39

Paul Martin

Paul Martin
Admin

Yes Guys, I'm the finishing timekeeper. Although meant to be a restricted gear event (don't ask) just turn up at 8am, pay a few quid entry fee and pin your number on. Points go towards the Roadman's League if you ride on an ordinary road bike. Trophy at the end of the season! Very Happy

4Time trial this Sunday? Empty Re: Time trial this Sunday? Thu 15 Mar 2012, 01:55

jerryc

jerryc

Clashes with Omega Thruxton Circuit Race on Sunday and after this weekend's outing like Maximus Decimus Meridius "I will have my vengeance"...especially after a solo ride I did last night for an hour averaged faster than Sunday's race (which was only 40 minutes long).

5Time trial this Sunday? Empty Re: Time trial this Sunday? Thu 15 Mar 2012, 02:42

Mark Capocci

Mark Capocci

Jerry - I read on the website that there was, just checking, thank you.

Paul - Restricted gear event??? So does that mean we can turn up with any old set of gears on the bike, i guess not? Help, im confused.com Laughing

6Time trial this Sunday? Empty Re: Time trial this Sunday? Thu 15 Mar 2012, 03:18

Paul Martin

Paul Martin
Admin

You can ride anything you like, long as it's road legal. The gear restriction is 74" and you must screw your front and rear mechs down. The CTT gear table is on the CTT website, link on our own website. You can see why I said not to ask!

You dont have to muck your gears up - just ride your bike as it is.

7Time trial this Sunday? Empty Re: Time trial this Sunday? Thu 15 Mar 2012, 06:20

keith

Paul

Do you have to ride restricted gear to gain road-man league points?

8Time trial this Sunday? Empty Re: Time trial this Sunday? Thu 15 Mar 2012, 07:14

beckcd

beckcd

Don't think so Kieth. Just on a road bike, so you'll have to leave you Pinarello Espada at home and bring your black beast that you tore up the roads last Sunday with you.

For all you young, fresh faced testers out there the espada was the TT machine that the great Miguel Indurain used to ride.

http://hm7.tumblr.com/post/2645915510/miguel-indurain

Last edited by beckcd on Thu 15 Mar 2012, 08:31; edited 1 time in total

9Time trial this Sunday? Empty Re: Time trial this Sunday? Thu 15 Mar 2012, 08:18

James A

James A

Wheres the sign on Paul, in the layby near the start line?

10Time trial this Sunday? Empty Re: Time trial this Sunday? Thu 15 Mar 2012, 08:45

jerryc

jerryc

How are points decided or is this a closely guarded secret so that the awards ceremony is a surprise?

Just wondering how much I need to focus my efforts or whether I can be competitive in road, TT, and in France.

11Time trial this Sunday? Empty Re: Time trial this Sunday? Thu 15 Mar 2012, 11:26

Paul Martin

Paul Martin
Admin

To answer all questions as best I can:

Signing on is in the layby east of Funtington, not at the start line at Churchers Corner;
There is a trophy for the fastest rider using a gear no higher than 74";
This event counts towards the Roadmans League. To qualify you must be on an unmodified road bike i.e. No tri bars;
The Roadmans League lasts all season and all PNE events plus Portsdown Time Trial Series events count. Points are cumulative, the fastest roadman getting 20 points with the second fastest 19 points and so on. I will publish the table regularly after Sunday's event.

10 miles isn't much until you have to ride it flat out without sitting on anyone's wheel. You must overtake riders ahead cleanly without giving or receiving shelter. If you are overtaken you must not raise you pace to match. You are riding against the watch, not the next rider. Simples. Smile

12Time trial this Sunday? Empty Re: Time trial this Sunday? Thu 15 Mar 2012, 18:53

Mark Capocci

Mark Capocci

Thanks for this Paul, it's all becoming more clear! Well sort of Very Happy

13Time trial this Sunday? Empty Re: Time trial this Sunday? Thu 15 Mar 2012, 19:50

jerryc

jerryc

Is the roadman's league just for PNE riders? Who's currently #1 ? Wink Hmmm Thruxton or Funtington this Sunday Question

14Time trial this Sunday? Empty Re: Time trial this Sunday? Thu 15 Mar 2012, 23:52

Paul Martin

Paul Martin
Admin

Yep, I'm trying to make it worth riding a TT even though you might only have a road bike. There will be an award at the end of the year for the most points gained. A slower rider stands a chance of winning if he/she rides all the events. Only 1st Claim (full membership) PNE riders qualify for the Roadmans League. All our courses are 'sporting' i.e. not exactly flat and sometimes a normal road bike can be an advantage! You can borrow superfast TT wheels if you want but clip on tri bars are not allowed, unless you are really going for the normal PNE TT points award which we've awarded for donkey's years.

Sorry you guys have not known much about this - my dear old Mum is the Club TT Sec but she's not a great user of this forum. Regarding Thruxton versus Funtington, supporting PNE races puts the money into PNE coffers; god knows into who's pocket your money goes with other people's events. Question

15Time trial this Sunday? Empty Re: Time trial this Sunday? Thu 15 Mar 2012, 23:56

keith

confused confused confused confused

So I can ride unrestricted gears and still get my road man league points Question or do I have too restricted them to 74 Question

16Time trial this Sunday? Empty Re: Time trial this Sunday? Fri 16 Mar 2012, 00:02

jerryc

jerryc

Paul Martin wrote:Regarding Thruxton versus Funtington, supporting PNE races puts the money into PNE coffers; god knows into who's pocket your money goes with other people's events. Question

True, but since my style is not exactly to fly under the radar at the back of the bunch racing should be good publicity. I'll earn my fair share of roadman league points this season don't you worry Wink

17Time trial this Sunday? Empty Re: Time trial this Sunday? Fri 16 Mar 2012, 00:15

Paul Martin

Paul Martin
Admin

You will get Roadmans points regardless of what gear you ride. If you restrict your gears you will qualify for both awards. However you have to be the fastest restricted gear rider to win the Medium Gear 10 trophy. The roadmans league is season-long. If you ride a low pro bike on unrestricted gears on Sunday you will qualify for neither.

Just to add to the confusion there is another season long award mentioned earlier for all PNE TTs regardless of the bike type but I dont compile that list, my Mum does.

18Time trial this Sunday? Empty Re: Time trial this Sunday? Fri 16 Mar 2012, 08:26

beckcd

beckcd

Just been along the sea front, on my own, averaged nearly 15 mph. Look out you testers Beck is back.

19Time trial this Sunday? Empty Re: Time trial this Sunday? Fri 16 Mar 2012, 19:42

jerryc

jerryc

beckcd wrote:Just been along the sea front

What route do you do? I do this one: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/157645614

20Time trial this Sunday? Empty Re: Time trial this Sunday? Sat 17 Mar 2012, 09:46

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

beckcd wrote:Just been along the sea front, on my own, averaged nearly 15 mph. Look out you testers Beck is back.

Razz didn't realise it was THAT windy today? lol!

http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

21Time trial this Sunday? Empty Re: Time trial this Sunday? Sat 17 Mar 2012, 09:58

Paul Martin

Paul Martin
Admin

I've just clocked your avatar Dave. Were you in France or do you normally ride completely on the wrong side of the road.....? What a Face

22Time trial this Sunday? Empty Re: Time trial this Sunday? Sat 17 Mar 2012, 18:48

beckcd

beckcd

That was with a tail wind Dave

23Time trial this Sunday? Empty Re: Time trial this Sunday? Sat 17 Mar 2012, 20:38

Mark Capocci

Mark Capocci

Is anyone planning on riding to the start as a warm up? Or are people taking cars? If anyone is riding where are you leaving from and time, leave as a group? Not sure what you do at these TT having never done one before Very Happy

24Time trial this Sunday? Empty Re: Time trial this Sunday? Sat 17 Mar 2012, 22:58

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

Paul Martin wrote:I've just clocked your avatar Dave. Were you in France or do you normally ride completely on the wrong side of the road.....? What a Face

It was a sportive - you must remember, you used to ride the shorter ones a few years ago? lol!

http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

25Time trial this Sunday? Empty Re: Time trial this Sunday? Sat 17 Mar 2012, 23:05

Paul Martin

Paul Martin
Admin

Not ridden any sportives on the continent mate. Where were you? Normandy, Flanders? Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum