Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

Electric gears

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Electric gears Empty Electric gears Wed 03 Oct 2012, 20:49

Swaff

Swaff

I went to the Cycle Show at the NEC last Saturday. I was able to try out both Shimano Ultegra and Campag Athena electronic gears. In both cases the bikes were set up on rollers. The action of pushing the levers in both cases is not a lot different to a mechanical set up, so don't get the idea that you will spare your pinkies some effort.
Shimano has double levers behind the now fixed brake lever. The change was smooth and the trimming of the front mech worked well. What I did not like was the closeness of the levers, something you would get used to in track mitts, but a nightmare in thick winter gloves.
Campag Athena, I got on this bike just before the show closed and the set up had had a hard day. Why Athena I asked, because the mechanicals are the same as the 2 record systems and that is what they wanted to demonstrate. Levers are almost the same as Chorus 11 on my Wilier. The inner button is more ergonomic, with a nice concave shape that fits the thumb. Going up the cassette was very impressive, one long push on the lever behind the brake took the chain across all 11 sprockets in one hit. Almost as soon as the chain reached the largest sprocket trimming of the front mech took place.
Having built my first Hetchins in 1963 with Campag (handlebar control, all the rage then) and now with 3 Campag equiped bikes, it is no secret where my loyalties lie, but I know which I would go for. It will be interesting to see what the reliability issues are long term with both systems.

2Electric gears Empty Re: Electric gears Wed 03 Oct 2012, 22:08

jerryc

jerryc

Swaff wrote:It will be interesting to see what the reliability issues are long term with both systems.

Give em to Charlie, he'll let you know which is more robust.

3Electric gears Empty Re: Electric gears Thu 11 Oct 2012, 23:09

Paul Martin

Paul Martin
Admin

I've started saving for my Athena EPS gears. Yum!

4Electric gears Empty Re: Electric gears Fri 09 Nov 2012, 00:42

Swaff

Swaff

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/tech/bikes/129421/1/pinarello-dogma2-campagnolo-super-record-eps.html

A more detailed explanation of Super Record EPS. Christmas is coming folks.

5Electric gears Empty Re: Electric gears Sun 11 Nov 2012, 21:25

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

:suspuntil the brakes go wireless and I can take off all my bike cable controls? (When that happens?)

http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum