Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

Surrey League Road Race, Cutmill, VC Meudon, 3rds

+5
jerryc
MarkW
James A
trigwill
AndyCarter
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

AndyCarter

AndyCarter

I rode probably be my last road race of the season today at Cutmill near Elstead in the Surrey League. I raced this circuit a couple of months ago and it's pretty enjoyable. There's a couple of climbs to keep everyone honest, but the roads aren't too narrow, so there's plenty of space for some good racing.

About 50 riders rolled out of the HQ onto the course which had been slightly altered since last time to accommodate a horse riding event taking place in the area. The rain was beginning to fall so the first lap was pretty easy going, and the first time up the main climb felt very comfortable. Towards the end of the first lap a couple of guys nipped off the front, and then another guy went at the base of the main climb. I was pretty near to the front and thought, on a miserable day like today that the bunch might not be so willing to chase, so a good break might stick.

So, after watching Marianne Vos smash it up the Cauberg on TV yesterday I thought I'd give it a try. I put it in a big gear and attacked up the hill bridging the 30 seconds or so to the riders up the road just as we crested the top of the climb. I looked around and things seemed pretty good as the four of us looked committed to making this work despite there being at least another 40 miles to go. We worked through and off to try and establish a good lead, however unfortunately, and no thanks to a car parked in the middle of a junction, we were caught after a tight left hand turn. Another rider counter attacked and someone else went with him and they also got a good gap, but again were brought back after the pace went back up after a couple of slow laps.

I sat in the wheels for pretty much the rest of the race, up front staying out of trouble as a few people were slipping on the turns as the roads got wetter. A few more attacks came, but were again getting brought back quite easily. It wasn't until the last lap that a guy broke off the front and made his move stick. He was a strong rider and managed to hold on pretty comfortably to his lead winning by about 20 seconds. I felt I had the legs to try go with him, but after my earlier effort I didn't want to risk my finish by being reeled in again. I positioned myself in about 10th wheel coming into the last bend and the run towards the final climb, at the base of the climb, as soon as I saw some clear air, I attacked. I was clear, but a few guys came with me and 3 managed to pass me on the final run to the line. I then nearly got pipped on the line but managed to hold onto 5th by about an inch!

This is my first top 10 finish on the road so I'm pretty happy with the result and how the day went. It's a good way to finish road racing this season having started 2012 with the objective of just finishing with the main bunch in each race.

I also think this gets me 6 BC points, so with the 5 I picked up on Wednesday by running 6th in the 3rds and sneaking 15th in the E/1/2, I think I'm now on 37 for the season. Agonisingly, this is just 3 short of the 40 I need to make 2nd Cat, so I think I'll definitely be racing Mountbatten in October!

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

Very Happy Absolutely terrific effort Andy and hope you get some points in October. bounce

I need to clarify if Jerry (and hopefully you) will retain your cats for next year. The way I read the technical regs to remain in cat 2 for a successive season, you need to obtain 25 points as a cat 2 [the way I understand that is you'd need to get the points THIS season as a cat 2, to retain for next season] Will clarify tomorrow alien

http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

James A

James A

Awesome work mate, you must be buzzing!!

AndyCarter

AndyCarter

Cheers guys! Yeah does feel good to get some results for the hard work!

I agree the wording is a bit confusing isn't it. I did just have a browse of a few random 2nd Cat riders points history though and while a few did score an addition 25 points, a few also didn't so we'll have to see...

MarkW

MarkW

Andy. congratulations. If you manage to secure 40 points this season then next year you will be graded as a 2nd Cat rider. To retain your 2nd Cat licence next year you will need to obtain 25 points.

http://clubcaptain@pnecc.co.uk

jerryc

jerryc

MarkW wrote:Andy. congratulations. If you manage to secure 40 points this season then next year you will be graded as a 2nd Cat rider. To retain your 2nd Cat licence next year you will need to obtain 25 points.

Unless it changes post British cycling agm. Motion to raise points thresholds for some categories was carried at south bc agm so will be proposed at national level (to be considered, if carried there, by a technical board)...race classification on closed circuits may also be downgraded (less points available).

Minutes of agm to follow when published by south bc.

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

MarkW wrote:Andy. congratulations. If you manage to secure 40 points this season then next year you will be graded as a 2nd Cat rider. To retain your 2nd Cat licence next year you will need to obtain 25 points.

Very Happy thanks Mark - confirmed by BC HQ, as Jerry posted if the points system isn't altered as has been inferred in the past (but with no action to date).

Suspect South BC are also asking to restrict the use of 'Day Licences' to a maximum of 5 times (as there isn't any rule limiting the amount of times this can be purchased)

It was an 'intersting' meeting and the club now has a member on the National Council alien

Suspect I also need someone with experience to mentor the seniors, as I'll try and concentrate on Juniors/Youth and level 3 for the rest of this year and next. Mark you've already played a part in this but I would like you to be the poc and mentor for them and will keep in contact with you. [you can message me with your response if you like]. The club will be getting further coaches but this will take time and experience can make all the difference to riders coming through alien

All committee posts need to have a 'deputy' standing in the wings and you fit the Road & Track Secretary Deputy bill. alien

Paul Martin

Paul Martin
Admin

Well done Andy! That was a crackin' ride and a well written post that will be read by quite a few other aspiring riders, I'm sure. Although you don't ride for that purpose, you can't help but be an inspiration for other, younger riders who want to race in the same jersey as you next year. Very Happy

beckcd

beckcd

Top ride Andy. You are the Bradley Wiggins of the PNE.

Carl

jerryc

jerryc

beckcd wrote:Top ride Andy. You are the Bradley Wiggins of the PNE.

Carl

Nah, Andy doesn't have a habit of pulling out half way through a race.

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

Very Happy ......or get thrown out the back and retire? lol!

AndyCarter

AndyCarter

Thanks all! Really happy with the ride! Along with that hellish day at Staplefield, it was my best this season for sure. Hopefully it does inspire a few of the youngsters to get involved on the road next year, there really is a lot of fun to be had out there.

And thanks also for the clarification regarding the points; I just hope I can score the last few in a couple of weeks!

It looks like there were some interesting developments at the AGM, I'll have a look at the minutes when they're published. Jerry, do you know when this might be? Cheers.

Ray

Ray

Does 51 count as a youngster Wink either way I'm inspired

Charlie96

Charlie96

Awesome ride, Andy! I can't wait to get out on the road next year.

Paul Martin

Paul Martin
Admin

All you've got to learn is how to stay upright Charlie scratch

Charlie96

Charlie96

I'll get the hang of it one day...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum