Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

Road bike setup dvd

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Road bike setup dvd Empty Road bike setup dvd Sat 17 Mar 2012, 23:38

Paul Martin

Paul Martin
Admin

Hmmm. Been watching a dvd from 2007 about setting your bike up. According to the presenter's calulations, I should be riding on 180mm cranks. Shocked

I use 170mm cranks and my absolute inside leg is 845mm. Now, while I have often debated with Matt Wyles whether or not I should be using 172.5mm cranks, 180mm is the biggest length I know of and way wide of the mark!

I'm going to research this subject a bit more and will keep this forum posted. Remember: Just coz you bought a bike with 175mm or whatever length cranks doesn't mean they are right for you! Suspect

2Road bike setup dvd Empty Re: Road bike setup dvd Sun 18 Mar 2012, 01:08

beckcd

beckcd

You are Big Mig. 180mm cranks with a 60 tooth outer ring, I can see you now, Martin the grinder.

3Road bike setup dvd Empty Re: Road bike setup dvd Sun 18 Mar 2012, 02:28

Paul Martin

Paul Martin
Admin

What is your fixation with Miguel, Mr Beck? I could have sworn all his best rides were with a certain European gruppo...

Anyway, I've found better formula for crank length:

(Absolute inside leg in cm x 1.25) + 65 = Ideal crank length in mm.

Round up if you if you are a heavy rider, round down if you are a light one. Very Happy

4Road bike setup dvd Empty Re: Road bike setup dvd Sun 18 Mar 2012, 03:10

beckcd

beckcd

I do sound a bit fixated with Indurain, don't I. It stops here and now. You've worked out a formula for crank length? Don't bring that up as a conversational gambit on your next date with one of your ladies will you.

5Road bike setup dvd Empty Re: Road bike setup dvd Sun 18 Mar 2012, 03:18

Paul Martin

Paul Martin
Admin

Ha ha! "Can you ride tandem, darlin'?" Laughing

6Road bike setup dvd Empty Re: Road bike setup dvd Sun 18 Mar 2012, 04:20

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

Suspect now what size cranks on a tandem? With the opportunity of ever changing partners? alien

http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

7Road bike setup dvd Empty Re: Road bike setup dvd Sun 18 Mar 2012, 04:22

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

Paul Martin wrote:What is your fixation with Miguel, Mr Beck? I could have sworn all his best rides were with a certain European gruppo...

Anyway, I've found better formula for crank length:

(Absolute inside leg in cm x 1.25) + 65 = Ideal crank length in mm.

Round up if you if you are a heavy rider, round down if you are a light one. Very Happy

is that in high heels or trainers? alien

according to the calcs I should have 165 cranks - that would be on all four bikes!...........and at my level would it make a difference?....methinks not. Thats not taking into account most pairs of legs are of differing lengths etc. etc. Depth of different shoe soles...the list goes on.

More important to get on yer bike.....and ride! alien

http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum