Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

Southern Sportive 11 September 2011

+5
MarineMark
prae
keith
debbienutty
trigwill
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Southern Sportive 11 September 2011 - Page 2 Empty Re: Southern Sportive 11 September 2011 Mon 12 Sep 2011, 20:18

JonG

JonG

I started with Jerry at about 8:30 to do the Full route. I immediately lost Jerry in the start and soon stopped to help a young girl with a rubbing brake pad so gave up hope of trying to catch him, especially on that shiny new road bike of his. I was aiming for a Gold time but riding in too attacking a style and without a group around me I wore myself out too soon and by about 60 miles in I wasn't enjoying it any more. I stopped at the next feed station and ate as much as I could which set me in good fettle for the rest of the route. I was back to flying up Butser and again up to Mercury. I finished with a flourish trying my hand at Criterium racing with another couple of guys on the circuit of Petersfield before the finish. I held on for a respectable Silver time on the 155 km route. Less than I'd hoped for but given the wind and the fact I made mistakes and I paid for them I can't grumble.

This is the first event I've ridden in proper club kit and while enjoying my post-ride cup of tea I had a few riders come and ask about the club. I gave them all the relevant times and places to have a crack at riding with the club.

Lessons learned from this:
  • If the route looks tiring and the weather draining; eat earlier, more and more often.
  • For heaven's sake learn to pace yourself.
  • The tops of Goodwood and Old Winchester hills are hell with a 20+ mph side wind.

http://www.twitter.com/jon_griggs

27Southern Sportive 11 September 2011 - Page 2 Empty Re: Southern Sportive 11 September 2011 Mon 12 Sep 2011, 23:27

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

Very Happy Good points raised by JonG. The philosophy is to practice your eating and drinking prior to the event you book - this also ensures plenty of room for improvement/learning. Although definately not a racing snake (more of a plodder - enjoying the day in the saddle and taking in the scenery) I have a simple system:
arriving well hydrated at the start; drinking every 30 minutes; eating every hour+drink after (flapjack & banana - slow release energy); and from experience on distances over 80 miles additionally consuming a gel every 5 miles over the 80 mark. This I find covers my 'potential bonk' which happens around 80 miles. You then finish happy able to savour the finish. Very Happy

Suspect This works for me from trial and error in training - each person is different e.g. I don't have a place for sugary sweets etc. as I've found they 'lift me up, then drop me like a stone'.
After finishing the event: a couple of black coffees (rarely drink it so it's a lift) milk shake and then couple of hours later something like pasta&cheese/tuna bake, and continuing the re-hydration until urine is well diluted.

Put down what worked for you - and perhaps what didn't? Every little helps? alien

http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

28Southern Sportive 11 September 2011 - Page 2 Empty Re: Southern Sportive 11 September 2011 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 02:29

jerryc

jerryc

Results are up: http://www.southernsportive.com/index.php?go=southern&eventid=110911&page=results&route=mid

Jon you weren't supposed to tell everyone I got a road bike...time would be more impressive on the mountain bike haha.

So you stopped to help a damsel in distress eh? How very noble - did you persuade her to join the club to?

Well to tell the other half of Jon's story, the new bike felt very light on the first climb and I found everyone in front going so slowly so I just rode around them and it triggered a bit of a charge, then it got casual again and the same thing happened on the next two little climbs. Then I got annoyed with people overtaking then blocking the road in front of me so when I found a gap on the flat section after Buriton I stretched my legs, which is where I think our starting group completely fragmented and I found myself clear with 3 others going through riders from an earlier start by this stage.

From the first check point I rode alone, not that I was really riding with anyone before that. Fastest mid route time to the final check point (2hr 39min) and finished second fastest (3hr 50min) missing glory by 1 minute - the fastest time going to Giles Fisher who gained 22 minutes on me in the final stint by covering the 35k in just 49 minutes - averaging 42.8kmh or 26.6mph.

As ever here's a link to endomondo - try and spot my missed turn (oops) http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/pK8hODVNz8o

29Southern Sportive 11 September 2011 - Page 2 Empty Re: Southern Sportive 11 September 2011 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 02:40

jerryc

jerryc

JonG wrote:
Lessons learned from this:
  • If the route looks tiring and the weather draining; eat earlier, more and more often.
  • For heaven's sake learn to pace yourself.
  • The tops of Goodwood and Old Winchester hills are hell with a 20+ mph side wind.

Didn't eat much, loved the SIS energy drink though - did anyone else think it was watered down at the last checkpoint?

Tried to pace myself...was only 70 seconds (total) slower over last 10 miles than I was the first 10 miles

Yeah the wind was interesting...were you in a group at this stage? I was solo without a rider in sight!

30Southern Sportive 11 September 2011 - Page 2 Empty Re: Southern Sportive 11 September 2011 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 08:41

JonG

JonG

jerryc wrote:So you stopped to help a damsel in distress eh? How very noble - did you persuade her to join the club too?

Join the club? I didn't even get a phone number!

http://www.twitter.com/jon_griggs

31Southern Sportive 11 September 2011 - Page 2 Empty Re: Southern Sportive 11 September 2011 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:22

jerryc

jerryc

JonG wrote:Join the club? I didn't even get a phone number!

Useless haha

So New Forest 100 on Saturday 1st Oct anyone? Might try my legs at the 100 this time.

32Southern Sportive 11 September 2011 - Page 2 Empty Re: Southern Sportive 11 September 2011 Thu 15 Sep 2011, 03:12

James A

James A

Good day out for me, even the rain held off!!
I set off with the very first group of the day and after an early split up Kiln lane found myself with just 4 and we rode thru and off at a fairly severe pace considering I still had 110 miles to go!! I decided to back off and wait for the next group on the road to come along. This consisted of about a dozen riders going at a steady pace so I settled in.
The first half of the ride flew by and feeling pretty good after the 2nd feed station I upped the pace and fell in with another small group going at a quicker pace and we worked together well. At the 60 mile mark I had averaged 18.5mph and looked set for gold.
As we headed towards Rowlands castle a small incline soon had me wincing as the mother of all cramp kicked in and all I could do was get off the bike and stretch it out and get some fluids on board. A word of warning for all, drink loads!! This slowed me up considerably and I drifted in to the feed station at the bottom of the Butser climb.
Feeling renewed after a munch, a stretch and a refill of the bottles I set off up Butser feeling good again. I got to the split for the Gauntlet and thought sod it, go for it!! I then proceeded to ride alone for about 30 miles into a battering wind and wondered if I had got lost!! Another few bouts of cramp had me stretching again as I was passed by a couple of the Fareham Wheelers so knew I must be on the right track!! The climb up to the last feed stop had me chewing my handlebars but I got there, refueled, set off and duly punctured not more than 10 meters from the feed stop!! A quick change got me on my way and I think the fact that there was only 15 miles to go spurred me on and I had a flying last section.
I bumped into Dave on the run in to Petersfield and realised it was the first I had spoken in about 2 hours!!
I think the official time was 7hrs 26, so if it wasnt for the cramp stops and the puncture I may have made it in 7hrs which was my target. Lessons learnt tho, drink more even if its not hot and you feel ok!!
Looking forward to next year!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum