Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bike Fitting....

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bike Fitting.... Empty Bike Fitting.... Fri 24 Dec 2010, 06:02

Jackit99

Jackit99

Anyone know of anywhere locally that offers a proper bike fitting service ,I'm Sure its right how it is but just want to check as still having knee problems,or anyone that knows enough to do one properly would be perfect
Thanks in advance
And happy santa
Lets hope we get lots of shinny new bike stuff to try out on new years day Cool

2Bike Fitting.... Empty Re: Bike Fitting.... Fri 24 Dec 2010, 07:38

beckcd

beckcd

Well you've got a few choices here Jack. Hargroves in Fareham do the BG Fit from Specialized. This is based on the Andy Pruitt method that he developed with American frame maker Serotta (makers of beautiful frames but very expensive). Here they'll set up your saddle height using a tool called a goniometre which gives you the angle your knee is at at the bottom stroke which according to this model of set up should be between 25 - 35 degress. They also set up your plum line and your cleats. Price last time of asking was £120.00. The Saxo Bank team all had it done and they said that it improved performance greatly, but they would.

Rock'n'Road in Bitterne will also do a fit session which again is based on the Serotta model but the guy there will watch you pedal for about 2 hours and then adjust your position. That doesn't sound to technical but James, the guy there, has been doing it for years and knows his stuff. Last price was around £175. He will spend a good 3 - 4 hours getting you set up right.

Now to save you some money I've got a goniometre you can have a lend of and if you check out the link you'll be able to see the best angle for pedalling and with the help of a friend, who knows about angles, you could get your saddle at the right height.

http://bikedynamics.co.uk/index.html click on this link, scroll down to the bottom to see the small film on saddle height.

You might want to invest in The complete medical guide for cyclist at Amazon by Andy Pruitt. I think you'll find it really helpful. It's got everything from bike fit to recovery. If you haven't already got it that is.

Hope this helps in some way and i'm planning to be out on a ride with you soon.

Cheers. Carl

3Bike Fitting.... Empty Bike fitting Fri 24 Dec 2010, 20:42

SteveM

Hi

Carl's is spot on with his comments, Andy Pruitt's book is a good read especially if you like Specialized, his approach is very much common sense based and emphasizes comfort. I would suggest it would be a sound investment even if you decide to pay for a professional fit.

I did some work with James from Specialized who teaches all of their BG fitters in the UK and watched him do a number of fits for the RYA who have a deal with them for their Olympic squad who do quite a lot of cycling as it's good low impact aerobic training (they are based at Weymouth so very good at hills, check out the contour lines). Interestingly, James fitted the Saxo bank team last year and most went Spesh's widest saddle.

From observations it isn't rocket science, we have done some fitting at work using motion analysis software designed for dynamic fitting (based on Pruitt's guidelines), which seem pretty good so there might be an opportunity for some free fitting if your prepared to be a guinea pig some time in the New Year, I will post a call for volunteers if needed.

However, what you often get from a shop fitting service is the opportunity to swap around components (mostly stems length angles etc., but also seat posts with various set-back), the BG system also looks at inserting shims in shoes to correct excessive knee movement etc., when necessary.

Often knee problems stem from the foot up so it is worth checking your cleats are properly set-up and perhaps switching to a pedal type which gives you more float, I moved to Speedplays because of knee problems and it seems to have done the trick, albeit at a price (£££).

Perhaps the basics of bike fitting could be included as one of the winter workshops proposed at the AGM.

Steve

4Bike Fitting.... Empty Re: Bike Fitting.... Sat 25 Dec 2010, 01:25

beckcd

beckcd

Yep Speedplay get my vote as well.

5Bike Fitting.... Empty Re: Bike Fitting.... Sat 25 Dec 2010, 06:49

Jackit99

Jackit99

Thanks for taking the time to write all of that,very usefull
I cant see the problem with the pedals as i've used the same designed shimano ones,i will keep the bike fitting contacts in mind if i cant get this sorted after christmas,

quote:
Steve M
''From observations it isn't rocket science, we have done some fitting at work using motion analysis software designed for dynamic fitting (based on Pruitt's guidelines), which seem pretty good so there might be an opportunity for some free fitting if your prepared to be a guinea pig some time in the New Year, I will post a call for volunteers if needed''.

Jackit99 says:
That would be great if you dont mind doing a bit of fitting sometime,im not botherd about being a guinepig if your not chargin £££ an hour pirat

Look foward to seeing sometime
Cheers

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum