Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

Heart Rate Training

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Heart Rate Training Empty Heart Rate Training Wed 20 Feb 2013, 23:34

toby.m

toby.m

I've joined Pyramids gym and they've got some cool bike machines (tracks, gears and handlebars that you turn). Also as per most exercise machines there are heart rate monitors which I gather are useful if you know what zones to be in and when. As I haven't a clue I've just been using the wattage output as a rough guide to help force myself to work harder.

Basically what I'm saying is, what zones should I be in and for how long should I be in them to building up lots of endurance? (24 hours worth will be required in 6 months!)

I've had a quick look on the internet and zone 'E3 Anaerobic Threshold Endurance 85-91% MHR' seems like it should be useful but I have no idea if I'm meant to be in it the whole time?

Any help would be greatly appreciated Smile

2Heart Rate Training Empty Re: Heart Rate Training Thu 21 Feb 2013, 05:10

jerryc

jerryc

3Heart Rate Training Empty Re: Heart Rate Training Thu 21 Feb 2013, 08:45

toby.m

toby.m

Cheers Jerry, gonna have to try and figure it out!

4Heart Rate Training Empty Re: Heart Rate Training Thu 21 Feb 2013, 08:52

jerryc

jerryc

Just remember if you ain't dying, you ain't trying, and if you are apply rule #5.

5Heart Rate Training Empty Re: Heart Rate Training Thu 21 Feb 2013, 09:24

Ray

Ray

I've been using a Polar Personal Training plan for about 3 weeks which HR based.

It means I'm riding less often, as I now have scheduled rest days. The duration of the rides are shorther than I was doing & at lower HR.

It seems odd but "Go slower, get faster" paragraph in the BikeRadar link, seems to be the way ahead, particularly for endurance.

I'm tempted to join the 24 hour event but i need to hold fire for a couple of weeks before signing up as fitting it in around work may be a challenge.

6Heart Rate Training Empty Re: Heart Rate Training Fri 22 Feb 2013, 06:12

jerryc

jerryc

I could probably be tempted to 24 hours nearer the time as well....I do like a challenge

7Heart Rate Training Empty Re: Heart Rate Training Fri 22 Feb 2013, 09:50

Ray

Ray

Just to add to my dilemma I've discovered that there is another 24hr event at Silverstone on 14/15th September; now I have 2 to choose from Smile

Silverstone24

8Heart Rate Training Empty Re: Heart Rate Training Fri 22 Feb 2013, 11:00

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

toby.m wrote:Cheers Jerry, gonna have to try and figure it out!

Very Happy You first need to do a RAMP test, and determine your MHR. There are many web pages that will give you an idea of a ramp test, if you're seriously doing it, you need someone to catch you as you almost collapse with exhaustion - then you know your MHR and can work from there. It generally requires a steady build up (you could use the power meter readings as step increases of say 2 mins each 20 watts, then move up to the next 20 etc.) You continue to total exhaustion - you need to record heart rate, as you will see the increase in HR taper of and in some cases reach a peak and increase little more - that's you peak threshold. [Remember to warm down well to remove lactate built up] Your HR will improve over time, so you need to re-test as you improve (benchmarks).

Like a Star @ heaven Long Slow Distance has been an ethos for years (common in my marathon days as an excellent method of training), so has training for the distance and no more, and some training for shorter distances with emphasis on quality not quantity. Its all swings and roundabouts, after time YOU will find what's best for you....its a journey. Everyone is different. alien

http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

9Heart Rate Training Empty Re: Heart Rate Training Fri 22 Feb 2013, 20:21

toby.m

toby.m

trigwill wrote:
toby.m wrote:Cheers Jerry, gonna have to try and figure it out!

Very Happy You first need to do a RAMP test, and determine your MHR. There are many web pages that will give you an idea of a ramp test, if you're seriously doing it, you need someone to catch you as you almost collapse with exhaustion - then you know your MHR and can work from there. It generally requires a steady build up (you could use the power meter readings as step increases of say 2 mins each 20 watts, then move up to the next 20 etc.) You continue to total exhaustion - you need to record heart rate, as you will see the increase in HR taper of and in some cases reach a peak and increase little more - that's you peak threshold. [Remember to warm down well to remove lactate built up] Your HR will improve over time, so you need to re-test as you improve (benchmarks).

Like a Star @ heaven Long Slow Distance has been an ethos for years (common in my marathon days as an excellent method of training), so has training for the distance and no more, and some training for shorter distances with emphasis on quality not quantity. Its all swings and roundabouts, after time YOU will find what's best for you....its a journey. Everyone is different. alien

All very technical Laughing by the sounds of it finding my accurate MHR is the first step so I'll look into that. 220-age probably wont cut it!

Merci!

10Heart Rate Training Empty Re: Heart Rate Training Fri 22 Feb 2013, 20:26

toby.m

toby.m

Pompey_Ray wrote:Just to add to my dilemma I've discovered that there is another 24hr event at Silverstone on 14/15th September; now I have 2 to choose from Smile

Silverstone24

Damn you! That ones even cooler Very Happy (if equally as mad)

Is 6 days recovery enough? Laughing if not does rule #5 apply, Jerry?

Anyone fancy a team entry for one of these? I like the idea of doing one team and one solo. I've already signed up as a solo to the Thruxton one but I'm sure they wouldnt mind it switching to a team.

11Heart Rate Training Empty Re: Heart Rate Training Sat 23 Feb 2013, 21:10

jerryc

jerryc

Toby, rule #1 is not only applicable when you feel like it. As for is 6 days enough recovery time, how much can you consume in 6 days?

12Heart Rate Training Empty Re: Heart Rate Training Mon 25 Feb 2013, 07:24

Ray

Ray

toby.m wrote:
Pompey_Ray wrote:Just to add to my dilemma I've discovered that there is another 24hr event at Silverstone on 14/15th September; now I have 2 to choose from Smile

Silverstone24

Damn you! That ones even cooler Very Happy (if equally as mad)

Is 6 days recovery enough? Laughing if not does rule #5 apply, Jerry?

Anyone fancy a team entry for one of these? I like the idea of doing one team and one solo. I've already signed up as a solo to the Thruxton one but I'm sure they wouldnt mind it switching to a team.

Just a thought.
How about entering a team for the Thruxton event?

Assuming Toby is willing & able to change his solo entry & those who want to ride a solo event could consider doing the Silverstone event?

13Heart Rate Training Empty Re: Heart Rate Training Mon 25 Feb 2013, 09:45

toby.m

toby.m

I'd be happy to switch over and do the solo at Silverstone. I can shoot of an email to the organisers to see what they think about me switching over (assuming we are going to get a team together); I can't see why there would be a problem as they're going to get more money from a team than they would from me.

I'm currently signed up as fundraiser rider but it is possible to sign up as a sportive team so what would be peoples preferences?
Sportive Team is £1000 or £250pp
Fundraising Team of 4 is £60pp plus the commitment of raising £1300 of charitable sponsorship
Fundraising Team of 6 is £60pp plus a commitment of £2100

The fundraising amounts seem like quite a lot but between a team and our very nice club members it's certainly possible Smile also we'd have to pay £250 each anyway so even if we had to plug any fundraising gap ourselves we'd 'only' need to raise £540 to make it more cost effective (4 man team).

Is it worth creating a thread in the sportive section or similar?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum