Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mega Meon Sportive in July

+5
Ian N
Paul Martin
BenD
MarineMark
Mike S
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Mega Meon Sportive in July Empty Mega Meon Sportive in July Fri 08 Feb 2013, 23:01

Mike S

Mike S

I have just paid my money for the Mega Meon Sportive. I have gone for the Epic (95 miles). I may live to regret that but lets see how we get on.

Very Happy

http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/wiggle-mega-meon-sportive/

2Mega Meon Sportive in July Empty Re: Mega Meon Sportive in July Fri 15 Feb 2013, 07:10

MarineMark

MarineMark

Hi Tiny,

I may well join you although i reckon the numbers will grow as it's always a good turnout!!

See you on the start line ;-)

Mark

http://www.marcelloentertainment.co.uk

3Mega Meon Sportive in July Empty Re: Mega Meon Sportive in July Thu 21 Mar 2013, 05:51

BenD

BenD

I will be booking my place on pay day.

Anyone else signed up for this?

4Mega Meon Sportive in July Empty Re: Mega Meon Sportive in July Fri 22 Mar 2013, 03:13

Paul Martin

Paul Martin
Admin

Well, after a long lay-off, I have three months to go from zero to hero. Epic for me - no surrender! What a Face

5Mega Meon Sportive in July Empty Re: Mega Meon Sportive in July Sat 27 Apr 2013, 02:14

Ian N

I'm booked on the standard.

Cheers,

Ian

6Mega Meon Sportive in July Empty Re: Mega Meon Sportive in July Wed 26 Jun 2013, 06:47

Graham C

Graham C

Hi All
Time to wake this one up for 2013, with just around 4 weeks to go until the 28th July
So far we have
Mike S- Epic
Mark - Epic (TBC)
Ben - TBC
Ian N - Std
Paul M- Short (now I believe, speaking to him last week)
Graham - Short
Ian S - Short
Katie - Short
Karl M - Short
Kevin B - Short

Please add a post on this thread if you have already entered or are considering riding and hopefully lets see the numbers grow. Smile 

Under 16's can ride free with a paying adult

Graham

Last edited by Graham C on Wed 03 Jul 2013, 09:28; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Riders added)

7Mega Meon Sportive in July Empty Re: Mega Meon Sportive in July Fri 05 Jul 2013, 05:12

beckcd

beckcd

Rich Francis' big return after many setbacks is the Mega Meon short distance. I'm going to be doing that with him and the rest of the sane PNE members

Carl

8Mega Meon Sportive in July Empty Re: Mega Meon Sportive in July Mon 08 Jul 2013, 07:01

MarineMark

MarineMark

Hi Graham,

Signed up for the Standard distance this year. I know that Kirstin is also doing the standard distance too!!

Is there a Club Start again this year and if so whats the expected kick off time??

Regards

Mark

9Mega Meon Sportive in July Empty Re: Mega Meon Sportive in July Mon 08 Jul 2013, 07:31

Graham C

Graham C

Hi Mark
Generally we like to start at around 8:30 as one big group then peel off as and when the routes split.
As we get closer to the date all the details will get firmed up.

See you there if not before.

Graham

10Mega Meon Sportive in July Empty Re: Mega Meon Sportive in July Sun 21 Jul 2013, 03:09

Graham C

Graham C

Hi Everyone
One week to go now until the Mega Meon so I will update the riders and rides as I know it.

According to the Mega Meon pre event info it seems the Epic riders cannot start after 8:00am. Somehow I cannot see how 30 minutes makes that much difference if we all started at 8:30.

Or do we now all start at 8:00am???

As we usually like to have an annual group photo what are the thoughts of everyone on this.

These are the members I am aware of, please let me know if I have anything wrong or your name is not on the list, just so that we get an idea of who may be missing at the start on the day.

Epic
Mike S
Katie
Miguel
Tom G
Mick M
Ray G

Standard
Ian N
Mark H
Kirstin
Lewis H

Short
Graham
Ian S
Paul M
Karl M
Carl
Rich F
Steve W
Kevin B

Graham

Last edited by Graham C on Thu 25 Jul 2013, 07:33; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Ray G added)

11Mega Meon Sportive in July Empty Re: Mega Meon Sportive in July Wed 24 Jul 2013, 07:44

Graham C

Graham C

Hi All
A further update after speaking to a few members last night.

I have found last year's pre event info and the Epic riders could start at any time between 8:00 & 9:00am

As I mentioned in the post above, I'm not sure if Wiggle are going to be strict in not allowing the Epic distance riders to start after 8:00am but they certainly do seem to have changed their thinking.

To cover the fact that this year they may well require the Epic's to activate their timing chip before 8:00am can all other distance riders please arrive around 7:30 or before; this will allow time for registration and a few photos of the total group together on the day.

If the rest of us are not quite ready we can leave slightly later but hopefully we can all be ready and leave at 8:00am.

Also don't forget to print off the email sent to you from Wiggle Titled "We have just processed your Wiggle Order1233344etc" as this is your E Ticket and they state "YOU MUST PRINT THIS TICKET" and bring it with you.

I must admit I initially missed the instruction as it is a few paragraphs into the email

Graham

12Mega Meon Sportive in July Empty Re: Mega Meon Sportive in July Wed 24 Jul 2013, 17:36

jerryc

jerryc

It's probably because a handful of riders on the epic took about 10 hours to get round last year...

13Mega Meon Sportive in July Empty Re: Mega Meon Sportive in July Thu 25 Jul 2013, 07:35

Graham C

Graham C

Anyone we know?? Laughing

The list is still growing, anyone else planning to ride

14Mega Meon Sportive in July Empty Re: Mega Meon Sportive in July Thu 25 Jul 2013, 18:45

jerryc

jerryc

Half expecting them to ask for crash history in the near future Wink

15Mega Meon Sportive in July Empty Re: Mega Meon Sportive in July Thu 25 Jul 2013, 18:47

beckcd

beckcd

Maybe they could introduce a crash tax. Not like these Sportives to try to get as much money out of punters.

Oh controversial.

16Mega Meon Sportive in July Empty Re: Mega Meon Sportive in July Sun 28 Jul 2013, 00:23

MarineMark

MarineMark

Hi Graham,

See you up there about 0730 then.

Regards

Mark

17Mega Meon Sportive in July Empty Re: Mega Meon Sportive in July Mon 29 Jul 2013, 04:03

Graham C

Graham C

Hi All
Once again the Mega Meon has produced more talking points.
A six strong group from the Standard and Short distances had only reached as far as Denmead Golf course when some Goon (Mark Hill had a far more graphic description) cut straight across Mark and locked handlebars sending Mark to the floor.Evil or Very Mad 

The rider behind Mark had no option but to run into Mark and he in turn cartwheeled over the top. affraid 

Thankfully both Mark and the other chap got up to continue. The pr... sorry Goon stopped about 50 yards in front looked back then carried on..words fail.

I presume due to the overnight rain there were absolute countless punctures on route.

We were doing OK until the ride through the back lanes of Ramsdean, where yours truly out of nowhere had a rear blow out. A 1/2" split in the sidewall was eventually found at the cost of a 2nd tube. Luckily I carry small sections of old tyre and this provided a makeshift repair.

Up until this point our average was around 16.4mph but the lengthy delay then produced a relaxed feed stop and a further puncture at the stop for Ian N.

Ian S, Kevin and myself still managed a Garmin riding time of 3hrs 39min at an average of 15.1mph so it wasn't all lost.

I hope everyone got round safely with no further mishaps.

I believe Evans Cycles were offering 1/2 price tyres and tubes last week, I hope their offer is still on. Very Happy

Graham

18Mega Meon Sportive in July Empty Re: Mega Meon Sportive in July Mon 29 Jul 2013, 05:55

beckcd

beckcd

Re the bloke who cut Mark up, what a tool and no apology either.

On the puncture front I had one just by some pub it's the one just as you take the long decent into Finchdean. Latex tube as well, bah! We were storming around at that point in a big old bunch.

Anyway we put that behind us and had a moving time of 2hrs 58. About 18.3 avg. I thought the course was a nice layout and quite rolling.

Had a massage at the end - best tenner I spent as I could actually walk around the house this afternoon without my legs seizing up. Well I say I spent, I scrounged £6 off of Rich, who did really well today considering he's just getting back after having three months off the bike.

19Mega Meon Sportive in July Empty Re: Mega Meon Sportive in July Mon 29 Jul 2013, 06:06

Mike S

Mike S

I can trump you all. 3 punctures on the Epic. Mark and Steve actually passed me on the first puncture pit stop whilst on the club run. The last puncture I cant have got more than 50 yards from the final feed stop before the back tyre was flat again!!

Was on for an ok time but with punctures and cramp I reckon I could have shaved an hour off. But did get round.

20Mega Meon Sportive in July Empty Re: Mega Meon Sportive in July Mon 29 Jul 2013, 20:04

martinR

Hi Graham, never a dull moment! Sorry to hear about the dramas and punctures, I was out with the weekend ride so saw at first hand some of the riding standard.

In particular I was almost unseated by a 'multitool' who pulled the same stunt causing Mark to crash. Cut straight across me as I was passing someone on a gentle climb. Handlebars were touched but luckily no one unseated.

I caught up with said multi tool and re briefed him on attention and consideration for fellow cyclists -it was a short conversation, he appeared nonplussed and for the most part remained silent.

Martin

Last edited by martinR on Mon 29 Jul 2013, 20:09; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong name!)

21Mega Meon Sportive in July Empty Re: Mega Meon Sportive in July Tue 30 Jul 2013, 18:51

Graham C

Graham C

Hi All
The results have been issued,the photos should be out soon. So after quite an eventful day and considering the road conditions here are all our times, well done everyone.

Next one up is the Southern Sportive on the 8th Sept

Epic
Mike S 07:15:00 (B)
Katie  06:25:00 (G)
Miguel  06:56:59 (S)
Tom G  06:25:01 (G)
Mick M  05:52:51 (G)
Ray G   07:15:20 (B)
Wang   06:38:38 (S) They had you as riding the Short?? (B) I assume it was as typo on their part, unless you entered the Short by mistake Wink 

Standard
Ian N  06:21:29 (B)
Mark H 06:21:07 (B)
Kirstin  06:21:08 (B)
Lewis H 06:17:12 (B)

Short
Graham 04:29:10 (B)
Ian S  04:29:48 (B)
Carl  03:19:51 (G)
Rich F 03:21:11 (G)
Kevin B  04:29:40 (B)

Graham

22Mega Meon Sportive in July Empty Re: Mega Meon Sportive in July Tue 30 Jul 2013, 23:42

Paul Martin

Paul Martin
Admin

Well done to all our riders. Sorry I wasn't well enough to join you.

It's certainly true that there are a number of cyclists out there who really have no idea how to ride a bike in company with others (or probably not at all!) and it's part of our collective mission to try and bring them into the fold and turn them into proper bikies. Quite apart from improving the image of our sport and pastime, we might just save a life or two! Shocked 

23Mega Meon Sportive in July Empty Re: Mega Meon Sportive in July Tue 30 Jul 2013, 23:48

MarineMark

MarineMark

LOL,

Thx everyone for all your support. It turned out to be a good day and Kirstin's first ever Sportive so a massive 'well done' to her for completing the standard route!! cheers 

I'm feeling it now a couple of days later and the bruising has come out on my left thigh where that poor chap hit me whilst I was on the floor and 'Superman'd' through the air!!affraid 

But glad no major damage done and I managed to continue for the remaining distance.

Gerry..... I'll need a new Club top, SS in Meduim please!!Crying or Very sad 

Good to see Rich out again, it's been too long without his friendly banter.

Kirstin and I have signed up for the Southern too, having a crack at the 155km!!! so lots of training between now and then!

See you all out on the roads!

Ride Safe

Mark

24Mega Meon Sportive in July Empty Re: Mega Meon Sportive in July Thu 01 Aug 2013, 20:49

Graham C

Graham C

Photos are now on their website.
If you looked earlier and thought some of yours were missing from the known positions the photographers were located at, they were.

Initially I only had 1 photo so I contacted them and apparently one of their uploads had failed losing around 1000 photos. This has now been rectified and I have now have 6 available. Very Happy 

Worth a second look everyone.

Graham

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum