Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

Olympic Road Race Saturday 28 (men's) and Sunday 29 (women's) July 2012

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

jerryc

jerryc

Hi all,

At the request of some members I have been investigating the possibility of organising a trip to watch some of the Olympic road race. From my investigations I can conclude that everywhere will be busy and trying to organise a trip to accommodate everyone's requirements would be impossible so below are a couple of recommendations, there will be no club organised trip however please feel free to post your intentions/suggestions and organise something yourselves as you wish.

Route Map

The men's race tackles the Box Hill loop 9 times so watching along this section will give you the most in person views of the riders. Tickets have been sold for the Box Hill climb, without a ticket you will not be able to get near however there are other parts of the loop that are freely accessible (note you won't be able to walk, ride or drive along the course).

The route also passes Richmond Park, London on the way out and the way in. Entry to Richmond Park is free as far as I am aware however they have not yet announced whether large screens will be showing the event whilst it is out of view. If the race is broadcast on big screens this could be a good place to watch from (but will be busy!).

Over the weekend there is a free entry cycling festival at Denbies Vineyard near the Box Hill loop. The site will have large screens broadcasting the whole race and you will get to see the riders pass just before tackling the Box Hill loop for the first time. Further info can be found here - http://road.cc/content/news/57742-surrey-hills-road-race-festival-announced-olympic-road-race-weekend-27-29-july

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum