Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

Boardman bikes at Halfords

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Boardman bikes at Halfords on Sun 04 Mar 2012, 20:35

I had cause to be in Halfords at Havant yesterday and made a point of looking over a couple of white Boardman bikes. They now do a women-specific model for £600-£700. Nice small frames, short stems, presumably short top tube, bars not too wide and, interestingly, 165 cranks on the smallest one, 170 on the other one. I only use 170s and have often grumbled to myself that all other Boardmans have 172.5 cranks but this attention to detail on the women's model is to be applauded. Yes, all Boardmans are either Sram or Shimano but not Campagnolo but they offer cracking value for money. Apart from pedals (which are a rider's personal choice) they are useable straight out of the box without any other changes. The saddles seem to be good too. I will add the caveat that you may need to change the stem due to length but that it true of any new bike.

Chatting, as I do, to staff at such places, Halfords' own brand, Carrera are about to bring out a higher spec bike. I think we are talking about carbon forks and probably kit better than the awfully unserviceable Shimano Sora. I'll keep an eye out for it and post an appraisal.

In case you were wondering, I don't get an agent's fee for each sale! I just give credit where it is due and hope that prospective new roadmen and roadwomen can get the right bike for themselves first time around. Very Happy

Remember when teachers, police officers, nurses, doctors, rank+file civil servants, firefighters and lollipop ladies crashed the stock market, wiped out banks, took billions in bonuses and paid no tax? No, me neither.
View user profile

2 Re: Boardman bikes at Halfords on Sun 04 Mar 2012, 21:53

Just be carefull with halfords, there market is flogging cheap nasty bikes to people
they do sell some quality stuff although alot of its a rip off comapared to buying elsewhere

View user profile

3 Re: Boardman bikes at Halfords on Sun 04 Mar 2012, 22:21

Mountain bikes, perhaps Jack, but my point (and considered opinion) is that the Boardman range is a cut above the rest. Try to buy and build a bespoke bike with the equivalent spec by browsing the internet. Don't forget the Boardman's come ready built in the price whereas, to make a true comparison, if you wanted one to your exact spec you would also have to pay someone to build it for you. Building it yourself is cheating when making such a comparison!

I know what you mean and I would have agreed with you 10 years ago but Chris Boardman clearly has had a hand in these bikes, it's not just his name he has lent. He is an intelligent and fastidious cyclist I think he genuinely cares about what is being sold in his name.

I know it sounds like I'm trying to build a Halfords fan club here but I'm just keen to point anyone thinking of getting a new bike in the right direction. After all, it's usually me who has to put duff purchases right afterwards! Shocked

Remember when teachers, police officers, nurses, doctors, rank+file civil servants, firefighters and lollipop ladies crashed the stock market, wiped out banks, took billions in bonuses and paid no tax? No, me neither.
View user profile

4 Re: Boardman bikes at Halfords on Sun 04 Mar 2012, 22:32

i probably wouldn't buy a boardman mountain bike but i've just got a hybrid team for SWMBO and she loves it, secondhand but well spec'd and i was surprised how light it was for a mainstream bike.

View user profile

5 Re: Boardman bikes at Halfords on Mon 05 Mar 2012, 00:38

Very Happy yep, seen it and she told me it's definately not for sale! Very Happy

m: 07483944230
e:  trigwill@gmail.com

Regular U18 coaching sessions @ South Downs College Saturday's 0900-1130
www.pnecc.co.uk/coaching.html for further details

bounce PNECC Members get FREE British Cycling RACE BRONZE for 12 months (Quote code: NEWCMRA)  bounce
0161 274 2010 ...you've nothing to lose?
bouncePNECC Youth Members get FREE British Cycling Membership & RACE Licence (first 12 months).......what you waiting for?   affraid
http://www.pnecc.co.uk/youthcoaching.html
View user profile http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

6 Re: Boardman bikes at Halfords on Thu 29 Mar 2012, 23:54

I made a point of taking a closer look at the 'FI' range and the staff at Halfords, Havant were only too happy to lend me a tape measure as I wasn't convinced by the measurements that were on the official literature.

Sure enough, both the small and medium sized frames are smaller than written down. The measurements are:

Small: 46cm c-t seat tube, 49cm c-c actual top tube (virtual top tube nearer 50cm)
Medium: 50cm c-t seat tube, 51cm c-c actual top tube (virtual top tube nearer 52cm)

The small has 165mm cranks, the medium 170mm cranks.

If you look for equivalent non-women specific frames, the top tubes can easily be around 2cm longer . This is why I think that any female cyclist thinking of getting a new bike should at least consider one of these Boardmans. As I say, I'm not on commission here, just keen to see riders get the bike that right for them. Smile

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum