Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

Injury recovery

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Injury recovery Empty Injury recovery Mon 21 Mar 2011, 08:46

JonG

JonG

I posted on here last month and mentioned that I'd broken my hand when I crashed my bike. It's still broken and not healing as fast as I would like, probably something to do with not being able to afford to take time of work with it. Such is life. As it's my hand it does mean that I'm not riding, and it's driving me mad, I can't grip the bars with the cast on and I have no use of my fingers for the rear brake! Mad

It's not just the expense of having to get the bus everywhere that's driving me bonkers. I hadn't realised I needed to be this active to keep myself sane. It probably doesn't help that my bike is sitting by my bed on the turbo, looking at me. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stay sane when off the bike for an extended period of time? The turbot just isn't cutting it at the moment, I've tried multi-tasking to make it less boring but typing my dissertation with the keyboard balanced on the bars isn't really working all that well. No

http://www.twitter.com/jon_griggs

2Injury recovery Empty Re: Injury recovery Mon 21 Mar 2011, 09:27

Jackit99

Jackit99

I know what its like spending too long of the bike,try the turbo when its raining that might do it!
also try other stuff like running until you can ride a bike again aswell
Just think though you are on the mend and not cycling now is for the best
Very Happy

3Injury recovery Empty Re: Injury recovery Mon 21 Mar 2011, 11:06

Well for a start now we're at the new club house you can come down there. From where you live I'd guess a 10 minute walk.
Victoria indoor bowling club, Alex way, off Northern Parade, just past the Alexandra bowling club on Northern Parade from your direction John. Or how about wrapping up warm & being a belly on the fence from 7pm at the track, just 100 yards past the club slightly to the right is a gate, if it's closed just push it open & wonder in your bound to see someone you know either watching or going round & round. There was 10 of us at the club last Friday.

4Injury recovery Empty Re: Injury recovery Mon 21 Mar 2011, 11:26

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

Very Happy But not this friday though eh? you'll be on your own _ its not on this friday 25th March.
First 'man up' its only a broken hand, you have another one? lol!
Turbo
Running
hopping
standing on one leg
one hand press ups
turbo
er running
and of course turbo

.....well thats that sorted I'm off on me bike?! lol!

It's not forever, take it as an opportunity to recharge your batterries, I was off last year for 3 months after my little fall at a roundabout....now that takes it out of you mentally but I came back stronger. Keep smiling afro

http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

5Injury recovery Empty Re: Injury recovery Mon 21 Mar 2011, 20:55

That is true Dave, however, the club is still OPEN... Laughing
Beer will help you John, to forget the pain, unless of course you drink too much & fall over breaking the other hand... Crying or Very sad

6Injury recovery Empty Re: Injury recovery Tue 22 Mar 2011, 00:08

Paul Martin

Paul Martin
Admin

I'm glad to see the usual tea and sympathy from your club mates Jon.

Unfortunately you can't rush this injury or else it will just take longer. Expect it to ache after the cast is removed, not to mention feeling the cold weather more. Not much good news, I'm afraid.

I once saw someone cycling with a broken leg. The left hand crank had been adapted to dangle idly while he pedalled with the right one. I'm not sure if he was on fixed or not. When I had my bad crash in 1987 Matt Wyles pushed me to my girlfriend's house as I'd pulled all the ligaments in one leg and couldn't do anything with it. Mind you I still had to ride home again on my own!

Get yourself down the track on a Friday and then go up the clubroom. That should give you a 'fix' if only once a week. And of course visit this forum on a regular basis.

7Injury recovery Empty Re: Injury recovery Tue 22 Mar 2011, 00:51

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

Very Happy missed a trick there paul?

Shocked Now if you need a fix on thursday evenings you could always volunteer to assist with the club time-trials series (dates on the website)?

Twisted Evil Keep smiling - hopefully see you soon?

http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

8Injury recovery Empty Re: Injury recovery Tue 22 Mar 2011, 01:16

JonG

JonG

Thanks guys. Tea and sympathy has it's place, perhaps the WI.

Typical that the club night has moved, I was just in the process of negotiating Monday nights off work! Being literally at the end of my road is good though, I'll see if I can't finish early over the next couple of weeks and try to get back to Portsmouth before everyone packs up and goes home. (Buses permitting.) No beer for me Si, coincidentally I've been on the wagon four years this week!

Man up is something I've been doing with uni recently, I had been hoping that the bike would give me some stress relief while writing this blasted dissertation but such is life it's not to be. I do have another hand, not so good for the rear brake, although I could just leave it on the big ring so I won't need to shift. Wink
I'd not considered running, I always look at joggers and think "someone's nicked his bike." Perhaps I'll give it a go in combination with the turbot in order to keep my fitness up.

I'm trying not to rush anything with this, I know the price of mal-united fractures, I see it regularly when I have my radiography head on. That said I'm not renowned for my patience, especially as the consultant said to stay off my bike for a couple of months, ideally to give the bone time to strengthen up. I'll just have to stay away from brick walls for a while instead.

http://www.twitter.com/jon_griggs

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]