Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rollers & Turbos

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Rollers & Turbos on Sun 19 Dec 2010, 08:14

I have a set of TACX parabollic rollers and a Mag Turbo, thought it would be a good idea (especially now with this weather) if others would post their experiences on rollers and/or turbos, with the detailing of sessions they complete. It's beneficial to share and try out for example other workouts etc. Very Happy

affraid Today I couldn't get out so spent 50+ minutes on the rollers trying to average a heart rate of between 120-130. Managed a 5 minute warm-up, a steady central session, then 5 minutes warm-down. Average speed 13.6mph max 27mph(started to get a little bouncy) MHR 160 AxgHR 130 AvCadence 82 Distance 11.5 miles and apparently 1018 calories? Very Happy

bounce So you get the idea? Post your indoor/turbo/roller session.

confused Try to work within HR zones. You need to establish YOUR MHR first to then calculate lactate/aerobic thresholds, and then work within different zones to increase the training effect.

To establish my MHR I carried out Ramp test. You need a heart rate monitor to record your heart rate.(Do it with someone observing for safety). I did mine on a turbo. Good 10 minutes warm up. Then starting in a low gear pedal at a good cadence (90) for 5 mins watching your HR rise, keep increasing up a gear keeping your cadence the same every 2 minutes observing your HR rise - it will get harder - eventually you will get to a stage where you cannot go on (your MHR). On the way up to it you would have noticed a stage where your heart rate appeared to 'pause of increase' then continue to rise until the end, The 'pause of increase' is the lactate/aerobic threshold - this is useful as a training datum for training just below your threshold. You also need to record in the morning - on waking up - your Resting pulse, this is also used in calculations. Getting back to the RAMP test, once you reach your MHR warm-down for at least 10 minutes or until your HR has returned to normality. Keep these records they will be useful in future work-outs.

affraid If you feel 'funny' 'light-headed' 'faint' during this test STOP and reassess.

bounce Good luck

m: 07483944230
e:  trigwill@gmail.com

Regular U18 coaching sessions @ South Downs College Saturday's 0900-1130
www.pnecc.co.uk/coaching.html for further details

bounce PNECC Members get FREE British Cycling RACE BRONZE for 12 months (Quote code: NEWCMRA)  bounce
0161 274 2010 ...you've nothing to lose?
bouncePNECC Youth Members get FREE British Cycling Membership & RACE Licence (first 12 months).......what you waiting for?   affraid
http://www.pnecc.co.uk/youthcoaching.html
View user profile http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

2 Re: Rollers & Turbos on Sun 19 Dec 2010, 20:47

when im up for it i usaully do 10mins spinning,then on a 10/10 effort level 1 minute on and 1 minute off spinning 20 mins,
10 mins on highest gearing on turbo,lowest on cassette but in big ring
and 5 min warmdown also sometimes see how long i can stay in effort level 10/10 without stopping
Very Happy

View user profile

3 Re: Rollers & Turbos on Wed 22 Dec 2010, 00:20

I haven't got a way of monitoring my heart rate. I may look into getting some watch type thing in the new year sales.
The last time I was on my rollers a few weeks ago now I managed 40 minutes & an average of 22 mph with a max of 26mph all on 39x15 front x rear ratio.
Regards chatting to the landlord of the George to arrange permission for a roller / turbo night. I'll do that hopefully soon, at the moment I'm not too good with a bad chest.
Hoping to be there tonight at the Wheatsheaf.

4 HR Monitor on Bikeradar classifieds on Thu 23 Dec 2010, 20:57

Hi Si,

Saw this on the bikeradar classified http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12747855 looks like a good deal for a decent HR monitor. Not sure if downloads but if it does I can get you a copy of the training diary software for nowt.

Steve

View user profile

5 Rollers check out the link on Tue 28 Dec 2010, 21:34

Hi All,

Check out the videos on the attached link http://www.bikeradar.com/blog/article/how-i-learned-to-love-the-rollers-28636 .
Those of you who have tried out roller will find the how not to ride video of particular interest I was in stitches, the guy is more polite and patient than I was the first few times I tried. However, the article overall makes a strong case for roller over turbos and I certainly find them more interesting and less hassle, although still occasionally fall off when I lose concentration, which is quite interesting in my garage which is full of accumulated crap most of which is hard and sharp, adds a sporting edge.

Enjoy

Steve

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum