Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

Winter Tyres: Feedback please

+2
Jackit99
keith
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Winter Tyres: Feedback please Empty Winter Tyres: Feedback please Thu 04 Nov 2010, 19:46

keith

Hi Guys and girls

I have read all the reviews on continental four seasons, gatorskins and bontrager hardcase. But I'm still unsure what tyres to purchase for winter as they all have mixed reviewed so I'm asking for any feedback on winter tyres that you guys have had in the past and what you recommend?

I look forward to reading your suggestions and hope you are all well.

Many thanks

Keith Foster 8)

2Winter Tyres: Feedback please Empty Re: Winter Tyres: Feedback please Fri 05 Nov 2010, 04:18

Jackit99

Jackit99

Never had any problems with vittoria zaffiro tyres for the winter,£15 a pair on ebay so cheaper option aswell
Smile

3Winter Tyres: Feedback please Empty Re: Winter Tyres: Feedback please Fri 05 Nov 2010, 05:41

Mark.McF

Mark.McF

swalbe winter tyres are good for 15 quid a pr, resist punctures well. currently runnin contis gp4000s, i know they're summer tyres really but they're very puncture resistant imo albeit a bit expensive for a winter tyre

4Winter Tyres: Feedback please Empty Re: Winter Tyres: Feedback please Thu 11 Nov 2010, 07:45

MarineMark

MarineMark

Been using gatorskins for 2 years all year round!! Only one puncture - after I bigged them up at the Southern Sportive! lol And they're fast!

Look round for offers, normally about £17. I run them at 110psi.

Mark

http://www.marcelloentertainment.co.uk

5Winter Tyres: Feedback please Empty Re: Winter Tyres: Feedback please Thu 11 Nov 2010, 22:28

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

Very Happy 'Winter tyre'Well there are loads around, a bit of common sense really. Loads of tyres will run all year round but use your judgement, check how worn they are, how damaged they've become. You know how long and hard you've been riding your existing tyres, all will wear with time. Beware lightweights in winter is all I will say, sidewalls usually very thin and not durable for the flinty,gravelly,pot-holed surfaces we love to enjoy round here?

Keep smiling rendeer

http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

6Winter Tyres: Feedback please Empty Re: Winter Tyres: Feedback please Thu 11 Nov 2010, 23:18

I use the Gatorskins, but I think there are a couple of types. Some with more tread than others. Mine have side edge tread but none in centre, but do have this side wall thread protection against curb rubbing plus the centre puncture protection. I've been out in the wet & only had a slight slide when I went over a metal man hole but I'd imagine that would happen with most tyres. Saying that the rear tyre gripped the second it came of the metal & onto tarmac. Gave my heart a jump at first but gave me confidence to know the do grip even without the centre tread. Oh & I was cornering at the time at approx 20mph along the flat coming through Porchester to the club ride one Sunday.

7Winter Tyres: Feedback please Empty Re: Winter Tyres: Feedback please Sat 13 Nov 2010, 04:34

beckcd

beckcd

There this discussion going on at bikerader. Might be of help.

Personally, conti gp4000s all year round. Get them from ribble they only work out at 24 quid each. Best tyre I've used.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12740171

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum