Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

John O Groats to Lands End Completed

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1John O Groats to Lands End Completed Empty John O Groats to Lands End Completed Thu 16 Sep 2010, 19:21

kev thompson

kev thompson

Hi all, just a note of thanks to several club members who helped with various aspects, be it mapping software, or kind words and even kinder sponsorship. You know who you are, many thanks.
My trip went as planned and I would recommend it to anyone. First 4 days in Scotland I had exceptionally good weather seeing Sutherland in all its glory. Testing bits, a head wind of 25 mph climbing out of Glen Coe to the summit of Rannoch Moor at 1100ft. Blustery side winds and driving rain crossing the borders and a beautiful day through Cumbria and into the Dales to Slaidburn which provided the meanest hills of the trip and the fastest descents.
Before I knew it I had skirted the Welsh borders and was cycling through Bristol to Cheddar, which was a bad day for head wind but warm and sunny. My penultimate leg, Cheddar to Oakhampton was a good day with side winds. My last day should have been from Oakhampton to LE, but threatening headwinds and rain for this 98m leg did not look good so I pushed on passed Oakhampton to Bodmin for my last night haveing covered 123 miles. The last day was initially dull, but brightened up for a sunny finish at LE at 1430 on 13 Sept. I took a planned 12 days which was about 80-85 miles a day generally but I did 101miles from Tongue to Inverness (arguably the best leg for scenery) and 123 the last but one. I found this milage got me along a decent way but gave rest time at the end of the day and time to look around. It was a holiday for me, and I think more miles would have turned it into a more intense affair than I wanted, each to his own, I wanted to savour the moment.
I feel great after the trip, no injuries, no punctures!!and my fitness/stamina has not been so good for 15 years, not a bad way to enter your 50th year!
To those who showed interest but did not take the plunge, do it, you will have a great time.I was a first timer at this sort of thing, but whilst spontonaity is good, good planning made the trip with no dramas.
Top tips: go light, go light and go light.
Anyone wanting a novice tourers advice, feel free to ask, I met a lot of folk along the way not having a dream ride but more nightmare.
See you all on the road soon
Regards Kev Thompson

Rich Walker

Rich Walker

AWESOME MATE!!

INSPIRE BY EXAMPLE.

Cant wait for the stories.

Rich

Roboman

Roboman

Well done what a great achivment

Sponsored content