Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

Medium Gear Time Trial Rules

+3
James A
Ray
AndyCarter
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Empty Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Tue 11 Mar 2014, 22:44

AndyCarter

AndyCarter

Hi Ray,

What are the official rules for this Sunday's medium gear time time trial? Obviously the first is no changing gear! But are we allowed time-trial bikes, disc wheels etc? If you could please clarify that'd be great, I'm desperate to give mine a run out...

2Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Empty Re: Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Wed 12 Mar 2014, 00:56

Ray

Ray

Any road worthy bike is permissible. Just needs to be in a fixed gear, approximately between 72"-74" for the event.

3Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Empty Info previously posted :) Wed 12 Mar 2014, 01:01

Ray

Ray

Signing on is adjacent to the finish line so please ensure that you give yourself plenty of time to get to the start line, approximately 4 miles away, I will ride the route later this week & provide postcodes &/or map references accordingly. The GPX file available via on the TT tab on website is accurate, so that will definitely point you in the right direction.

The event itself is tradionally a 72" (183cm) fixed gear event. As not everyone has a fixed gear bike, I don't for one.

I have trawled various website to look at gear ratios that are close to 72".

This site seems to explain it quite straightforwardly, well I think I understand it now anyway.  Surprised

Fixed Wheel co uk http://www.fixedwheel.co.uk/tech.htm

The link below has a calculator that allows you to input your gearing details, so you may find it useful too.

The Fixed Wheel site Gear Table does not include a 34 tooth chain ring, for example.

Why Cycle Calculator

So once you know what gearing gets you as close to a 72" fixed gear on the bike you will be using then that is the only gear you should use during the TT itself. I'll be riding my CX bike, with 700 28C tyres, so using the Fixed Wheel table, I'd need to use the 46 tooth chain ring & 17 tooth sprocket (not a million miles away from the 21c used for the table & as close to 72 as I can get)or using the Why Cycle calculator I'll probably go for my 38 tooth chain ring with a 15 tooth sprocket as it'll be slightly under 72"

Whilst I appreciate that the more mechaincally minded riders will be able to adjust their gears to prevent accidentally changing gear during their ride, I'd rather not mess about with mine "unnecessarily", & I'm sure we can take it on trust that no one will be deliberately be changing gears in order to seek an unfair advantage & improve their time!  Smile

This is an early season "winter warmer" event after all  Very Happy

Hopefully this is useful information as it's not intended to put anyone off taking part in what is intended to be a season opening fun event  Laughing

4Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Empty Re: Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Wed 12 Mar 2014, 04:36

AndyCarter

AndyCarter

Hi Ray, thanks for clarifying the rules, looking forward to testing out the TT bike then! Thanks also for the tips regarding the gearing, most helpful! See you Sunday, it should be good fun!

5Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Empty Re: Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Wed 12 Mar 2014, 08:39

James A

James A

Steady on mate,you dont want to get that Cervelo dirty!!  Laughing 

I guess its also ok to ride unrestricted as well without counting towards club points?

6Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Empty Re: Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Wed 12 Mar 2014, 10:28

Ray

Ray

Yes you can ride unrestricted but you will not be eligible for the Alf Basford Trophy

7Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Empty TT Sunday Thu 13 Mar 2014, 08:01

Dave Dawkins

Ray i have just cycled the the first part of the tt route for Sunday and there are roadworks on the B2178 between East   Ashling and West Broyle Durkin have the road up with a fresh hole and traffic lights stopping the traffic, Didnt appear to be any work going on and not sure that it will be finished in time for the race Sunday.

Dave

8Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Empty Re: Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Thu 13 Mar 2014, 08:08

Ray

Ray

Thanks Dave, I was intending to ride a risk survey ride on either Friday or Saturday morning, so hopefully it will be ok to use by Sunday.

If the TL are still in place we may have to adapt the course accordingly.

9Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Empty Re: Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Thu 13 Mar 2014, 21:17

Ray

Ray

Hi all I've checked & the temporary traffic lights are scheduled to be there until April 18th so unfortunately we will not be able to use our scheduled route.

My suggestion is that we use the scheduled start but turn left in East Ashling, before The Horse & Groom PH, proceed past Southwood Farm, left again into Downs Road to finish in Downs Road prior to the junction with B2146. This would only be 8km, so only CTT fee of £2 if we go ahead.

I'll ride out there tomorrow to do a risk assessment & check if my proposed route is usable.

10Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Empty Re: Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Thu 13 Mar 2014, 21:25

Ray

Ray

If we turn left again, from Downs Road onto B2146 we can use the scheduled finish too, but approaching from Funtington rather than Chichester of course & that would be a little over 9km.

Anyway, as I said, I'll check out my proposed modified route tomorrow & let you know.

11Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Empty Re: Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Sat 15 Mar 2014, 01:24

Ray

Ray

The roadworks are still in place but no temporary traffic lights about 2 hours ago.
Hopefully that'll be the case on Sunday too.
If not I have scoped a modified 10 mile course.
I'll check the route early on Sunday morning but atm we are good to go.

12Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Empty Re: Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Sat 15 Mar 2014, 03:27

Graham C

Graham C

Hi Ray
I am in Chichester tomorrow morning and I use that route to get in. I will give you an early update on the TL lunchtime tomorrow.

Graham

13Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Empty Re: Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Sat 15 Mar 2014, 07:03

Lee Morgan

Lee Morgan

Evening all

Just checking - will the sign on and start times still be in the same place regardless of any course alterations? If I've read the map right sign in is Emsworth Common Road or very nearby? Not ridden that course before and aiming to ride up Sunday.

Cheers
Lee

14Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Empty Sunday's TT Sat 15 Mar 2014, 08:11

Ray

Ray

Signing on is in the layby adjacent to an Old Church Building on the B2146, the road name is Woodend, it's almost opposite Southbrook Road. This is where the finish line will be, regardless of which course is ridden.

The start will also be the same, regardless of which course. Please bear in mind that the start is approximately 2.6 miles away from the signing on area.

The start is in the bus stop layby adjacent to the junction of the B2146 (Common Road) & B2147, copy & paste frenzy below Smile

As a reminder, it is £4 for adults to take part & £2 for juniors.

Juniors will also need to have a signed parental permission form with them in order to take part.

Signing on is opposite Southbrook Road, in the road to Woodend, adjacent to the building that looks like an old church

The start is in the layby in Common Road adjacent to the junction with the B2147, 2.6 miles away from signing on

The finish is at the junction of Southbrook Road & the B2146

First rider to start at 08:30, signing on from 07:45 ish

15Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Empty Re: Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Sat 15 Mar 2014, 08:14

Ray

Ray

Thanks Graham, the roadworks are related to Portsmouth Water & seem to be fairly mobile as they have their new pipework laid. Hopefully it'll be TL free where ever they happen to be on Sunday & Sunday week for that matter (PTTL event 2)

16Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Empty gpx file for P841 hopefully Sat 15 Mar 2014, 08:49

Ray

Ray

17Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Empty Re: Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Sat 15 Mar 2014, 08:54

Ray

Ray

Alternative 10 mile TT

http://www.plotaroute.com/map/470

18Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Empty Re: Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Sun 16 Mar 2014, 02:55

Graham C

Graham C

Hi Ray
No TL today and all roadworks fencing and signage etc has been moved onto the grass verges. Road was clear.

Graham

19Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Empty Re: Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Sun 16 Mar 2014, 03:09

Ray

Ray

Thanks Graham.
Looking good for tomorrow Smile

20Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Empty Thank you Mon 17 Mar 2014, 08:50

Ray

Ray

Thank you Sheila, Graham & Paul for helping deliver a successful TT today.

I'll post the results shortly.

21Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Empty Re: Medium Gear Time Trial Rules Fri 21 Mar 2014, 02:02

trigwill

trigwill
Admin

Results on the website  alien 

http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum