Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

New to racing

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 New to racing on Tue 12 Nov 2013, 09:01

Hi all! I wonder if I might be able to pick some brains about getting into road racing? I fancy giving it a go next year but am not really sure where to start! Am I right in thinking I need to start on the track, like Mountbatten? And if so, I guess its a good idea to get some practice in there before launching into a race?! When might I be able to get some practice in with some other people who can offer me the wisdom of their experience? Smile

Sorry it's been a while since I last managed to catch up with you all - the past few months have been hectic. Living in Winchester now but still working in Portsmouth and hoping to keep riding with PNECC! Hopefully see you all soon!

Matt

View user profile

2 Re: New to racing on Wed 13 Nov 2013, 18:51

Hi Matt, try and make some of Dave's Saturday sessions (see website for dates). Fareham wheelers run a race coaching programme on a Monday night that I found helpful when I started and there is a session for experienced riders on a Wednesday evening but that's more fitness as in theory it goes round and round in two lines for an hour. You'll probably have to start at mountbatten, once you are 3rd cat (won't take you long) you have a bit more choice

View user profile

3 Re: New to racing on Thu 14 Nov 2013, 01:15

Hi Matt

I'll echo what Jerry said: Make the most of Saturday coaching sessions to learn your craft as getting a licence and turning up to race with little experience of the necessary bike handling skills when riding in close quarters is a big no no! For the same reason we don't encourage riders to start off with the Wednesday sessions but to wait until they are able to ride up close and personal without constantly touching their brakes. Take advantage of Sunday club rides too if you can as it all helps Very Happy 

Paul

Remember when teachers, police officers, nurses, doctors, rank+file civil servants, firefighters and lollipop ladies crashed the stock market, wiped out banks, took billions in bonuses and paid no tax? No, me neither.
View user profile

4 Re: New to racing on Sat 16 Nov 2013, 10:24

Thanks for the advice guys! Will definitely try and attend some of the coaching sessions soon! Maybe see you down there or hopefully out on a Sunday soon! Fingers crossed for good weather! :-)

View user profile

5 Re: New to racing on Sun 17 Nov 2013, 05:36

Matt, we have missed your monster efforts on the front of the Sporty Group on Sunday. All seems to have been said above, but be aware that British Cycling have voted in an increase of points (from 10 to 12) to progress to a 3rd Category rider in order to build in a bit of experience before a rider takes to the open road in a bunch. This is the only category that is affected, the points for other moves remain as 2013.

View user profile http://clubcaptain@pnecc.co.uk

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum