Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

Starting racing

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Starting racing on Thu 07 Feb 2013, 20:02

So, I need to get more experience riding in a group and get a bit faster first, but what steps do I need to take to get racing?

Am I right in thinking I need BC Silver membership and a Race licence? Then do I just rock up on the day and enter, or do you pre-enter?

Which races should I enter?

Being light I guess a hilly / undulating circuit would suit me... do such things exist or should I just do Mountbatten and learn how to sprint?

What sort of training should I do for racing? If all races finish in a sprint should I just practice that? Or should I just get out and ride and not bother with specifics until I'm half decent?

View user profile

2 Re: Starting racing on Fri 08 Feb 2013, 00:03

Hi Tom,

Yes you need a Silver BC membership and a racing license in order to race. Allow a couple of weeks to get this as once you sign up and pay your fees British Cycling will process it and send to Dave Gwilliam as our BC representative and then he's got to get it to you.

With regards to racing as you live in Portsmouth it is easier to start racing at Mountbatten, I think you're fit and fast enough already for Cat 4 racing but don't relax as there's a big difference between sitting in the pack waiting for a sprint finish and trying to gain a lap in a breakaway group (or solo as I attempted a few times last year).

Look at the British Cycling website under 'events' for races you can do. Also have a look at Surrey League where you will find more road racing that will be hillier.

Training wise, keep riding, stay fit, do the Wednesday sessions as you are, possibly try one or two of Chester's sessions on a Monday night (7.30pm at the track, cost £5) as he is gearing it more towards racing tactics and techniques rather than simply riding around like we do on a Wednesday, which is good for fitness. As the weather improves there'll probably be a Saturday morning 'chaingang' which we do as a faster ride covering about 20-25 miles at almost race pace.

Chat on Saturday...

Jerry

View user profile

3 Re: Starting racing on Fri 08 Feb 2013, 23:31

well, I've put in for my membership and race licence.

View user profile

4 Re: Starting racing on Tue 12 Feb 2013, 08:17

So... do I have to wait until all my documents arrive to race? Or could I race this weekend with just my BC number?

View user profile

5 Re: Starting racing on Tue 12 Feb 2013, 08:25

Should be ok with just your membership number mate, I think Paul Giles is doing the same.

View user profile

6 Re: Starting racing on Tue 12 Feb 2013, 08:40

mozzy wrote:So... do I have to wait until all my documents arrive to race? Or could I race this weekend with just my BC number?

Sign in to BC website and print the ( https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/dashboard?#My_Membership ) membership page of your dashboard which shows you have purchased a racing license.

View user profile

7 Re: Starting racing on Wed 13 Feb 2013, 01:59

Cool, printed of my dashboard membership page.

I was looking to pre-enter but I see this ended on the 3rd of Feb. What time do entries open on the day and how many people do they allow in the field? I see there's already 10 entered for the 4th Cat race.

View user profile

8 Re: Starting racing on Wed 13 Feb 2013, 06:10

Just sign on in the morning, usually have up to 40ish riders in a race, you should be fine. Saying that tho, there could be a mad influx of new racers raring to go so get in there first!!!

View user profile

9 Re: Starting racing on Fri 15 Feb 2013, 20:39

If you haven't got your documents yet, give British Cycling membership a call on 01612742010 and they can email you a temporary licence to print out and use. The organisers will definetly accept it and allow you to race, apparently. Very Happy

View user profile

10 Re: Starting racing on Sat 16 Feb 2013, 02:54

I can't get through. I'll just have to hope they'll be fine with the print out from my dashboard.

What time should I show up on Sunday to register and warm up? My start is at 1000.

View user profile

11 Re: Starting racing on Sat 16 Feb 2013, 07:24

Hi Mozzy,

I'm getting there about 9:30 to sign on.

We can team up on the track and help each other round.

View user profile

12 Re: Starting racing on Sat 16 Feb 2013, 08:37

Great. I don't have team kit yet so might be hard to spot but I'll be on a all black carbon bike (no decals) and wearing a white and red top, so please introduce yourself.

See you Sunday.

View user profile

13 Re: Starting racing on Mon 18 Feb 2013, 10:49

Very Happy Well done all of you today, great to see (although I only caught the E/1/2/3 race). Great to have a PNE winner in the 4th cat, good effort everyone alien

m: 07483944230
e:  trigwill@gmail.com

Regular U18 coaching sessions @ South Downs College Saturday's 0900-1130
www.pnecc.co.uk/coaching.html for further details

bounce PNECC Members get FREE British Cycling RACE BRONZE for 12 months (Quote code: NEWCMRA)  bounce
0161 274 2010 ...you've nothing to lose?
bouncePNECC Youth Members get FREE British Cycling Membership & RACE Licence (first 12 months).......what you waiting for?   affraid
http://www.pnecc.co.uk/youthcoaching.html
View user profile http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

14 Re: Starting racing on Mon 18 Feb 2013, 19:43

Yeah brilliant race guys, looking forward to watching that all season! Results are up on south bc website http://t.co/JBSj7kX6

View user profile

15 Re: Starting racing on Mon 18 Feb 2013, 19:52

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum