Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

Coaching Youth & Juniors

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Coaching Youth & Juniors on Fri 07 Sep 2012, 11:02

Very Happy Hi All, I've already emailed PNECC youth/junior riders but as there may be others out there considering riding next season; wanting to start racing after being inspired by the olympics and Bradley Wiggins exploits; or just considering joining PNECC and wondering what we can do......

This is a preliminary notice to signal my intentions and give you all opportunity to feedback. It is related to the Youth/Junior riders, 18 and under.

The club ‘Youth’ is in a much more healthy ‘number-wise’ position than it has been in my time with the club. There are also more riders looking at us with interest, so numbers may increase.
I appreciate you may all have different agendas and your own plans for what you want to achieve by this time next year?
The idea of coaching is to provide a service ‘required’ by the rider needs – there’s little point me providing coaching sessions if your ambitions don’t match.

So I’d like you all to email me back with:
Your name, age, contact details, email address.....
1. What you would like to have achieved by this time next year
2. How much time you have to train for the above goal(s)
3. What you think your strengths are
4. What you consider are your weaknesses
5. What other sports you partake in
You can expand on the answers as much as you like (and get mum and dad to help as required).

My plan will be to have ALL the youth riders at least once a month on the Mountbatten Circuit for minimum 2 hour coached session
This is likely to be on a Saturday e.g. Noon until 2 pm. The sessions will run come rain, come winter sunshine, requiring commitment (and obviously clothing fit for the conditions).

Some of you have already ridden in circuits and on the Mountbatten track circuit, the intention will be for ALL of you to race next season. Don’t get bogged down with the ‘road’ races idea, initially we’ll concentrate on the Mountbatten track and other local traffic-free circuits. Working together within your age categories, supporting and assisting each other. I’ll prescribe training you can aspire to outside of the coached sessions, so you aren’t subject to ‘over-training’ or training without guidance.

I’ll also create a Youth section on the forum where you can exchange information and arrange other details.

I’ll also expect riders to take part in Guy Watson’s Portsmouth School of Cycle Racing sessions each Friday at the track – these are structured training sessions and an opportunity not to be missed. If you display a talent he’ll pay even more attention to you, that’s your opportunity to develop even further. You’ll also get the opportunity to meet other riders with the same aspirations as you may hold. If I’m not around for these sessions, there is usually Paul (the Mechanic) Martin or other PNECC riders around.

Riding your bike is also meant to be fun, don’t lose that feeling either. Without the fun aspect, riding can be a drudge, always remember No.1 in your list above and aim for that.

This post has also been copied by email to Paul (the mechanic) Martin and Sam (Club Welfare Officer) Moore, these people are also points of contact for any issues as well as my details. (see the Youth pages on the website [Only admins are allowed to see this link]

Looking forward to your replies

All the best alien [Only admins are allowed to see this link]

m: 07483944230
e:  trigwill@gmail.com

Regular U18 coaching sessions @ South Downs College Saturday's 0900-1130
[Only admins are allowed to see this link] for further details

[Only admins are allowed to see this image] PNECC Members get FREE British Cycling RACE BRONZE for 12 months (Quote code: NEWCMRA)  [Only admins are allowed to see this image]
0161 274 2010 ...you've nothing to lose?
[Only admins are allowed to see this image]PNECC Youth Members get FREE British Cycling Membership & RACE Licence (first 12 months).......what you waiting for?   [Only admins are allowed to see this image]
[Only admins are allowed to see this link]
View user profile http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

2 Youth Track Session on Mon 10 Sep 2012, 04:30

Hi Dave, i would like to take part in the mounthly youth training. Here is my response to you earlier post:

Aaron Thompson, 13, i will give you my dads contact detail to ensure a reply.

1. What you would like to have achieved by this time next year: To start to win my age group races.
2. How much time you have to train for the above goal(s): Weekday evenings and weekends.
3. What you think your strengths are: Speed endurance and hill climbing.
4. What you consider are your weaknesses: Over training, bike handling and well thought out race tactics.
5. What other sports you partake in: Swimming, running and rugby.

Aaron Thompson

View user profile

3 Re: Coaching Youth & Juniors on Sun 14 Oct 2012, 07:31

Very Happy Good effort to all the riders who took part in the first monthly youth & juniors 2 hour sessions at the Mountbatten Centre track circuit today. By the end of the session you could see in the eyes of the riders how the 2 hours had took it's toll as opposed to the wed & fri hour sessions at MB Suspect
Cool All riders put plenty of effort in (and some kept reserves for racing at MB tomorrow - best of luck guys!) with group work and technical aspects.
Very Happy The rain stayed away and didn't pour down until the last rider had left!

Looking forward to next month - lets see if we can get a few more youth & juniors and all the girls who have recently joined the club? cheers

Arrow For all those riders today who haven't got round to it yet please fill in a Rider Profile form to be passed to me when possible - take your time filling it in and put in as much detail as possible [Only admins are allowed to see this link]

all the best alien

m: 07483944230
e:  trigwill@gmail.com

Regular U18 coaching sessions @ South Downs College Saturday's 0900-1130
[Only admins are allowed to see this link] for further details

[Only admins are allowed to see this image] PNECC Members get FREE British Cycling RACE BRONZE for 12 months (Quote code: NEWCMRA)  [Only admins are allowed to see this image]
0161 274 2010 ...you've nothing to lose?
[Only admins are allowed to see this image]PNECC Youth Members get FREE British Cycling Membership & RACE Licence (first 12 months).......what you waiting for?   [Only admins are allowed to see this image]
[Only admins are allowed to see this link]
View user profile http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum