Portsmouth North End Cycling Club Forum

Promoting the pastime and sport of cycling

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wiggle Super Series - Devils Punch Sportive

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

I've entered the Epic route for this sportive; it's on Sunday 4th November, if you are interested in riding it.

I'll probably be catching an early train from Fratton again, to Petersfield, & riding the final 8 miles to the start. I assume that there are engineering works as there's a bus to Liphook rather than a train, according to Trainline. I may ride home, or return via a train from Petersfield, I'll see how the day goes, weather etc.

View user profile
Pompey_Ray wrote:I've entered the Epic route for this sportive; it's on Sunday 4th November, if you are interested in riding it.

I'll probably be catching an early train from Fratton again, to Petersfield, & riding the final 8 miles to the start. I assume that there are engineering works as there's a bus to Liphook rather than a train, according to Trainline. I may ride home, or return via a train from Petersfield, I'll see how the day goes, weather etc.

Ray, I will be signing up for this one come pay day (Tuesday). I live next door to Fratton station so will head up with you if that's ok? Hopefully I will see you before then at a ride or something and we can sort something out.

View user profile
Oki doki, I should be at VIBC this evening, so see you there.

View user profile
An update on today's event.

I rode to Fratton Station & then caught a train to Petersfield & rode to the start at Holycombe Steam Museum.

I was rather wet by the time I arrived at Holycombe, although I was dressed in full wet gear, as the rain was forecast.

I was booked onto the 75 miles Epic course but this was cancelled before the start due to a lot of flooding on the additional 25 mile section of the course.

I was first to start & along with other members of the 1st group we were "guinea pigs" to assess whether or not the 1st water splash at the bottom of the hill, riding toward Liphook was shallow & safe enough to ride through. As I had ridden through it, in the other direction 30 minutes earlier I was sure it was Smile

Another rider, from East Anglia joined me & we rode together until we reached Headley Down, where he rode off into the distance. I wasn't passed again until Churt; I suppose this should have given me a clue that something was amiss but I put it down to people taking it easy, due to the weather & road conditions. As it turned out the organisers had decided to abandon the event due to sereve flooding on the 2nd half of the Standard course.

It wasn't until I met up with the East Anglia rider, who had punctured, that I found out about the abandonment. A support vehicle had stopped to assist him & given him the news.

The plan was to ferry (no pun intended) riders back to Holycombe from the 1st feed station in Shackleford. As only about 20 riders had started & only a dozen or so had reached the feed station, it was very well stocked so we were generously rewarded with gels & energy bars.

I did my best to ensure that the flapjacks didn't go to waste but there was still a dustbin full of them Sad

As I had no need to go back to Holycombe & it had stopped raining I decided I would ride to Hayling. By the time I reached my mum's house I had ridden 68 miles from Holycombe, so not quite the 75 I had planned but a decent bit of exercise. No roast dinner though as I wasn't expected to be there today but I did get some very nice homemade chicken soup Smile

View user profile

Unfortunately today's Wiggle Devils Punch had to be cancelled due to poor weather conditions that lead to a burst river and wide spread flooding on parts of the course. We pride ourselves in providing high quality, exciting and most importantly, safe cycling events - today's conditions prevented that.

We appreciate some riders travelled early this morning to get to the event and hope you all had a safe journey home.

Currently, we are looking at rescheduling or alternative event options, details of which will be sent out via e-mail on Wednesday 7th November.

Many Thanks,
UK Cycling Events

View user profile
Very Happy now that's what you call cycle-cross Rolling Eyes

m: 07483944230
e:  trigwill@gmail.com

Regular U18 coaching sessions @ South Downs College Saturday's 0900-1130
www.pnecc.co.uk/coaching.html for further details

bounce PNECC Members get FREE British Cycling RACE BRONZE for 12 months (Quote code: NEWCMRA)  bounce
0161 274 2010 ...you've nothing to lose?
bouncePNECC Youth Members get FREE British Cycling Membership & RACE Licence (first 12 months).......what you waiting for?   affraid
http://www.pnecc.co.uk/youthcoaching.html
View user profile http://www.trigwillcyclecoaching.com
Pompey_Ray I was there in the first group at the front ready to go was very wet wasnt it- the bloke in the shorts with no waterproof jacket was bit mad wasnt he ! anyway i got 10 miles in then the ride was called off did 17 mph avg wasnt very quick course i punctured too that was just what i needed at that moment Mad .
It was a shambles from ukcycling events I thought we will see what they offer us instead
by the way the downloads from sportivephoto.com are free for this one there is only about 20 pics though so no need to put the number in !

View user profile
Yes it sure was wet.

Thanks for the info on the downloads, freebies are most welcome Smile

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum